Windows 7 Avoid "Press any key to boot from USB" after boot device selection?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
I installed windows on an USB flash drive.

When I boot a computer with this USB flash drive inserted I press F8 to get into the boot device selection.
I selected the USB flash drive as boot device and hit RETURN.

But then I am always asked again:

"Press any key to boot from USB" in white letters on black background with running countdown

Yes, stupid computer! I just tell you to boot from USB flash drive! Why do you ask again?

How can I avoid this annoying second prompt?

Peter

Hi Peter! :)

Basically you can't or at least I've never known the option to be available.

It does seem a little pointless but in reality your initiating a process which could mean you losing data so it's just a quick check to make sure your happy to go ahead.

Never really had a problem with it myself but hey..

Hi Peter,
Just curious is this a W7 OS installation USB? Like a W7 boot disc or Recovery Disc? Or are you running W7 entirely from the USB stick each time you boot your computer? If so, is this for testing purposes or what? The answer for you lays in the way you are running Windows; windows was not designed to run live from external media-ALWAYS! It is used to repair Windows or to completely reinstall it in case of disaster such as when a nasty Ransomware virus locks you out of your computer or locks and encrypts all your files. Ordinarily in PCs, the BIOS is designed to run Windows (any version) from some kind of any internal hard drive (HDD, SSDD, SHDD). You question leads me to believe you are not running Windows in the manner which it was designed to run. Guess you can do it, but, again, why??

I too have never seen a fix for this; however, there are hack sites that allow you to reprogram your BIOS to get rid of that option. It's extremely risky to do so, as if you do it wrong you can bork your Motherboard and that can render that computer totally inoperable unless you replace your Motherboard with a new one. That can be a very very expensive process.:cash:

hope that proves helpful.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back