Windows 8 Blank screen after "press any key to boot from cd/dvd..." Windows 8.1 installation

Saksham Prakash

I decided to upgrade my pc from win 7 ultimate 64bit to win 8.1 Pro 64bit. However, on booting from the dvd (I used an external drive which is working perfectly), after the "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" screen the screen goes blank and nothing happens at all. I tried using the internal dvd drive and got a blinking cursor instead of the blank screen after which nothing happens.
The installation proceeds successfully on my other two laptops with the same external drive and the same disk.
Please help.

Could you tell us about all three machines and what difference there may be in the one which is not working? Are the bioses updated?

Are you installing over Windows 7, or wanting to do a clean install using the 8.1 media. What is the condition of the Hard drives when you start and are you doing anything to change that prior to the install?

Where did you get your media? I assume you are not trying to install in a UEFI configuration?

If you say the media works on the other two, the media is probably good. But can the last machine read it correctly? Maybe there is something about the USB on that system causing a problem for the external drive. A blinking cursor, as you have on the internal drive, normally means the system has been sent to some non-existent place to find the boot files.

Are you hitting the key to boot to the DVD fast enough? It will only show maybe 3 or 4 dots before it freaks out.

Back