Windows 7 Back to Windows 7 from 10 not booting!

Alan Chun

Hi everyone, I decided to wind back my install of windows 10 to my previous version, windows 7 after getting fed up with the start/cortana problem and having to reboot all of the time with f8.

However, when it finally finished the boot menu came up with
Windows 7
Windows 7 (recovered)

Now windows 7 (recovered) wont do anything as there is nothing in it and when I went into windows 7 it was asking to be activated as it said it wasn't a genuine copy of windows!

After looking at things I found that during the rewind process windows 10 had changed my hard disks around and set up windows 7 on what used to be my second disk and my old windows disk is now drive d!

I have managed to get windows 7 activated again but I cannot get my old windows to boot from the other disk, and that is where all my programs are registered to, so I can't run anything!

If I try a repair it says it can't repair, however I know it's all there because if I then go to advanced it asks me to log in to that version of windows which I do, using my old login details!

Anybody got any ideas on how I can get that version of windows/that hard disk to boot up again so I can get back to using all my software?

Just to clarify:

I have 2 hard disks in my system.

Before I did a rollback from 10 to 7 my os and programs were on the c drive that is now the d drive and all my files and photos were on the d drive that is now the c drive.

I now have a c drive that has the following:
Windows (populated)
Windows 10 (holds an iso of that version)
windows.old (empty)
There does not appear to be any system files on drive c such as bootmgr etc, they are all on drive d?!?

The windows folder on the c drive is 8gb

The windows folder on the d drive is 23gb
Cheers

Alan

Oh well, not a very useful forum this.

I am just going to wipe both hard disks and start all over again. It means I have to reinstall all of my programs, plugins and presets again, which is a pain and is going to mean wasted time.

Thanks for reading though!

So, I heard that many software can help users back to the Windows before without reinstalling system, like AOMEI Backupper, which can do a unicersal restore instead of installing a system again.

So, I heard that many software can help users back to the Windows before without reinstalling system, like AOMEI Backupper, which can do a unicersal restore instead of installing a system again.
Thanks Verki, but I wiped and reloaded both hard disks yesterday and am now back up and running properly. thank goodness for back ups eh? :)

Back