Windows Vista back up with Win 7 x 64

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
Some issue I have read pitting imaging against registry backup which are clouding my choice.

1-Erunt requires that you turn UAC off for ERUNT and not to use it automatically. ERUNT has not been updated since 2005.
2-System restore and Norton = must Norton turn tamper protection off to restore.
3-system restore = do not use safe mode(good back up) but you cannot restore afterwards.

I have 2 questions, assuming the above is true;
1= does registry backup cause more trouble than imaging.
2-Acronis and Macrium are good but is Win 7 back up restore as reliable with 64 bit? It is limited but I am concerned about the reliability as oppsed to the other two.

First thing I would recommend is getting rid of Norton and using MSE or Avast. I use Win 7 back up for and year and never had a problem restoring from a backup...worked like is was suppose to. I have used Acronis and Macrium, both are excellent with a lot of choices but not too user friendly (GUI) speaking, they can give some users a hard time, were as Win 7 back up is very limited but very user friendly (GUI) speaking. So it all comes down to the individual as to what they are looking for but all 3 are very reliable. IMO.

First thing I would recommend is getting rid of Norton and using MSE or Avast. I use Win 7 back up for and year and never had a problem restoring from a backup...worked like is was suppose to. I have used Acronis and Macrium, both are excellent with a lot of choices but not too user friendly (GUI) speaking, they can give some users a hard time, were as Win 7 back up is very limited but very user friendly (GUI) speaking. So it all comes down to the individual as to what they are looking for but all 3 are very reliable. IMO.

>>I use Norton b/c it is free with Comcast, my ISP. It does a good job with security but has too many features which can complicate issues such as system restore.
May I ask what firewall you use with MSE or Avast? I used it and liked it but was without a firewall except for Windows.
>>If you don't mind, I would like to also ask when you restore Win7 with the disc what selection do you choose at first, if you wsh to restore the system image you have created. Do you search for the image by date? I have not used it but would prefer simplicity that did the job over complexity that leads to confusion. I don't think you can retrieve a lost file with Win 7 though, can you?
Your reply was right really helpful so if you could please just complete the thread I will be all set.
Thank you
Peter

MSE and Avast are also free....but Norton use's a lot of system resources in the background and makes your computer run real slow. Switching AV you should see a speed increase. As for Firewall I've used just about all them out there...and currently using Windows firewall. It's does just as good a job as any other out there and better IMO.

Generally when one restores using the disc, I assume you mean the Windows OS disc, it's for reformatting the HDD or repairing corrupt or missing files from the orginal OS install. In your case missing or corrupt registry strings. This is not for recovering missing data or lost data, that's what the backup's are for.

As for the restore; that depends on what name you give or go with the default name. Date's are the norm, it's easier to see and find that file backup.

My 2 cents worth!
I have used Acronis for many years, and, more recently, since early Vista, macrium on my wife's computer. I have to admit that I do not find them user unfriendly, maybe horses for courses. I have not used Windows backup since pre XP days, so cannot comment, except that I see many queries on how to use it (such as this one).
I am a neurotic backer upper, and will say that Acronis and Macrium do not fuss about antivirus and/or firewalls, unless you are intending to save to a network. I swear that, over these years, any recoveries I have chosen, and they have been many, have never failed me. The two progams can quickly get you out of virus or trojan situations and even, to some extent, BSODs, provided they are not to hardware related.
Lately I was tempted to explore some linux releases. Restoring an Aconis Windows image, with the MBR (A choice) ,even got me out of the boot manger complications which linux tends to leave behind.

I will agree with Bassfisher on the subject of Norton. Many users are totally succesful with it. I am not numbered among those, unfortunately. I also use MSE, which sits very quietly and gets on with the job.

Last edited:
I use Acronis too. I use Avast free and Comodo firewall free but only the firewall portion. A registry backup is simply that and it requires no extra software. I'm not that sold on Windows 7 backup because of the number of posts on the web from people having problems with it.
Joe

I use Acronis too. I use Avast free and Comodo firewall free but only the firewall portion. A registry backup is simply that and it requires no extra software. I'm not that sold on Windows 7 backup because of the number of posts on the web from people having problems with it.
Joe

I may go M.$. consistent and use; MSE, MS firewall behind my router, Win 7 imaging.
Btw, one time I had to recover my system and I had Macrium and Win 7 images - Win 7 saved the day,
On the desktop the same happened with Acronis and Win 7.
I no longer use 2 programs and Acronis and Macrium have worked ok but Win 7 has been the most steady, perhaps b/c it is the simplest.I wwon't worry about dropping a file.
Thanx all

Back
Top Bottom