Windows 7 Backup destination conflicts can't restore need help

meicalnissyen

So I sucessfully recreated my raid as a 250 mirrored instead of 500 striped.
windows now seems more stable without the freeze up mem 3 issue

prior to the change, I used the win7 maintenence backup utility and made a repair disc, did an image, and backup to my 750gig sata drive

now this backup is apparently just a bunch of random zip files so
A I can't find my browser to use that wizard sujessted by another member

B IF i could use the backup, would it not recreate the coruption problem I had before?

C most important, when I go into the backup section now, it will not let me use the 750 drive, (it exists in 'my computer' and is accesible) just steadfast ignores it just offers the dvd drive as the only option. tried that network button, couldnt get to it there either

THANKS

An Image has to be restored in total. It will erase the current drive and replace it with the image. If you made an image of a larger drive, the image may not restore on a smaller one.

Did you also do a file backup and do you know the file extension for that? You might open Help and Support and type in Backup and Restore to get a FAQ.

Last edited:
Yes, I did the backup as well
it apparently generated 34 zipped files, I copied, and opend #34 just now, found a few stray files, I guess I can just manually open this junk and root around until I find my opera preferences folder and paste it in. but thats kinda messy

I don't do that type of backup, but you should be able to restore your files by checking or unchecking specific folders. I haven't do it, so not really sure how, but I would have to guess using the Backup and Restore utility would allow for that.

Changing your RAID setup might have confused the utility, but I don't run RAID and have no experience.

---------------------------
I just did a file backup and it appears you can search for individual files, files in general or folders to recover. Zip files are not involved in the process using Backup and Restore.

Last edited:
but the problem is that the backup utility refuses to access the drive the files are on, and they won't fit on a DVD, which is where it wants them

In a situation like this, I find it is always helpful for you to go through your process. Explain what steps you take and what the result is. If you give the steps, I can follow them and see what results I get to determine if yours are erroneous or expected.

You say the utility will not access the drive with the backup. Does that mean it cannot find the backup, have you moved or renamed it? Are you browsing for backups and nothing shows up?

You might want to rename the current backup it before you do this, but have you tried doing another backup to see if it will see the external drive?

C most important, when I go into the backup section now, it will not let me use the 750 drive, (it exists in 'my computer' and is accesible) just steadfast ignores it just offers the dvd drive as the only option. tried that network button, couldnt get to it there either

THANKS

OK, lets try this. You open Backup and Restore. Does the External show available or is there a red X on it? If Red X, have you tried "Select another backup"? If you select another backup, I assume this is where you are clicking on the network button because the backup does not show up.

Once again, have you moved or renamed the backup? Have you changed the computer name?

If the drive is showing available, the next window is the Restore Files (Advanced). Do you select Search, Browse for files or Browse for folders?

Attachments

• BK1.GIF
    BK1.GIF
    13.2 KB · Views: 444
well its an internal, the backup was made before the format reinstall, names are the same, drives are fine, but maintenece won't go and look at the drive the bacup is on

any way this backup is going to just try to redo the whole computer over again, reverting to the corupted crap I got rid of

useless

I just want all my broser settings which are buried somewhere in one of those unlabeled zip files

Last edited:
All I can think of is to do a search for the file, assuming you know what it is. Good Luck with your system...

Back