backup to 1 TB USB Drive

docweathers

Extraordinary Member
I am trying to make a backup on a one-terabyte USB Drive. When I try to make a file history backup it will appear fine for about 5 minutes. Then it shows an error saying that a file on the drive is corrupted and cannot be read.

After I got this message I checked the drive for corruption. I find a corrupted file. I have the corrupted file removed then try again to back up to the USB. The same thing happens. I have repeated this several times on three different new 1 terabyte USB drives and they all do the same thing. I have a 64 gigabyte USB Drive plugged in and I can back up to it fine.

It seems like you are experiencing issues when attempting to make a file history backup to a one-terabyte USB drive. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Update USB drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your USB ports. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2. Check USB drive for errors: Use the built-in Windows utility called Error Checking to scan and repair any potential issues on the USB drive. Right-click on the USB drive in Windows Explorer, select "Properties," go to the "Tools" tab, and click on "Check" under the Error Checking section.

3. Format the USB drive: If the error persists, try formatting the USB drive. Be aware that this will erase all data on the drive, so make sure to back up any important files before proceeding. To format the drive, right-click on it in Windows Explorer, select "Format," choose the desired file system (usually NTFS for large drives), and click "Start."

4. Test the USB drive on another computer: Connect the USB drive to another computer and attempt to perform a backup there. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your computer or the USB drive itself.

5. Adjust power management settings: Some power management settings in Windows can interfere with USB devices. Open Device Manager, expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section, right-click on each USB controller, select "Properties," go to the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

6. Disable any antivirus or firewall software temporarily: Sometimes, third-party security software can interfere with the backup process. Disable any antivirus or firewall software temporarily and try performing the backup again.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Microsoft support or the manufacturer of your USB drive for further assistance.

the issue is you are working on a USB and they turn off by default [to save power]

a back up software should be sent to internal drives where ever possible... move them to the USB location after for storage

Back
Top Bottom