Windows 7 Backups painfully slow!!

jmcgeejr

Hi all using build 7000 on following specs.
C2D 2GHZ
2GB ram
P945 chipset.

I have 3 hard drives (sata II)

Y=350GB used
Z=550GB used

backing up to a 1.5TB drive.

I used windows backup and after 12 hours it was only at 51%???
I have tested copying files btw the drives and I get about 65MB/s up to 120MB/s depending on the type of files. Any ideas?

What backup up program are you using?

Robocopy....loxated in the c:\windows\system32 folder? It's a powerful command-line program, blows regular Windows backup out of the water.

There is a new GUI for that program and can be downloaded here:
Utility Spotlight: Robocopy GUI

Robocopy....loxated in the c:\windows\system32 folder? It's a powerful command-line program, blows regular Windows backup out of the water.

I was using the built in one within windows. I will give robocopy a shot right now thanks!!!

can't get robocopy to run. It runs but it doesn't copy anything I have tried various checkboxes but no dice. Will keep hammering at it.

Last edited:

Robocopy is a great tool and I use it heavily, but it does not have some of the features of Windows Backup (backup is not really it's main purpose)

Windows backup compresses the files, and to my knowledge will do a differential backup on subsequent runs.

But it is PAINFULLY slow, especially the first full backup. I've tried raising the process priority on the service which didn't seem to help (using RTM build).

There needs to be a way to give this a higher priority especially when doing the initial backup.

Back
Top Bottom