Windows 7 Bad video peformence when lot of hard disk activity

Baltar

When I play 1080p video and there is lot of disk activity at the same time (virus database updates, someone copys something trough local network, DVD is burning...anyway - lot of hard disk activity) then the video shows very poor peformence - stops and starts for sec, then stops, slideshows and so on (allso with sound). When this happens the CPU is about 50-60% so CPU is not an issue. I allso set the media player priority to high in task manager - still bad peformence when hard drive activity is high.

I have AMD CPU 3GHz, 3,5MB RAM, 1GB ATI Radeion HD4850

I DID NOT HAVE ANY SUCH ISSUE ON XP...whats the problem?

Is your CPU multiple core? If it is, does your stated number show a combined or single core?

Can you tell from Task Manager what exactly is taking the 60% cpu utilization?

Video like you are using takes a lot of CPU cycles. It may also be related to your codecs, but I don't know what to recommend in this area.

What is the source of your video?

Yes, I do have dual core CPU and taskmanager shows 50-60 % always when I play 1080p video, this was the same with XP but what ever the hard drive was doing - the video played smoothly all the time in XP. I unce wrote DVD, copyed 10GB into 3 different location and downloaded multible files. My hard drive was so loud with all the activity - but still the 1080p movie player smoothly in xp. Why not in win 7?

Every time there is virus database update for example and i play video - the video starts to do slide-shows!

I do have a quite old HDD 160GB PATA but that does not matter - if video was able to play so smoothly with the same codecs and players in XP, why not in windows 7?

- if video was able to play so smoothly with the same codecs and players in XP, why not in windows 7?
Do you know for sure they are the same codecs?

Once again, do you know what is using the CPU time beside the Video? You may have something that has elevated CPU usage and your video may be putting it over the limit.

There are many changes between XP and Win 7. Do you know how to determine which codecs are being used in Win 7?

Yes. im 100% sure that im using the same codecs - core avc for video and ac3 filter for sound. I use windows media player classis (tryed other players - same problem). The CPU uses about 50-60% when watching video (8-9 % is used by other tasks all together). It seems like reading video data from HDD has lower priority than other read/write tasks like coping files, updateing virus database and so on. I allso used CPU killer - i set the video priority one step highter than CPU killer so the CPU was at 100% all the time but the video played fine AS long there was not much disk activity. So this pruves that CPU is not an issue, the issue is that read/write tasks override the reading of video data.

I did notice that copying files from one place to another is much faster than was on the XP so the data transfer is better with 7 but why im haveing this annoying problem then?

Back