Windows 10 BCD Error 0xc000000e, 0xc0000225 and More issues. Late night computer update and woke up to Recovery Screen

SupramanTT

Background, I am an IT Support person. Been doing it for almost 20 years. This is the first time I have actually had to create a post for a problem I could not figure out. I have been trying to piece what has happened.

Two nights ago I went to bed and slept the computer as usual. I remember it turned the screen on shortly after I went to bed but the monitor turned off and I fell asleep.

In the logs I found that it did an update around 12:40am on Friday morning. It ran for about an hour and then seems to have failed.

I woke up the next day and tried to wake my computer. It was not responsive from keyboard. I opened the lid to the Lenovo Legion 5 laptop and found this screen:
Error Code: 0xc000000e

I tried the f1 and F8 on the screen and they would just blink. Something was seriously wrong. I did not realize at the time of the update occurring.

After working on it, the error code switched to 0xc0000225. Showing the config system is missing or has errors.

I built a win 10 boot drive and tried recovery. Automatic repair failed and It told me to look at the boot up logs. The most recent successful boot was on the 9th of January and there were no errors found in the log. Not useful.

I then began attempting to fix the boot records. It seemed like that could be the issue. Bootrec /fixboot leads to access denied.
Access denied happens a lot. I have manually changed the directory to the windows directory when I am running it instead of the x drive, but I may be missing something here.

Some blue screens said that the registry is missing or corrupt so I attempted to restore it. This is when I found that the repair registry folder in the System32 folder was missing. No such folder.

I tried the windows recovery just to find out that this lenovo did not have the recovery function turned on. I did not realize that restore points are not automatically turned on anymore. WHY????

So I have spent 3 days working on this issue. It was one magnificent Friday The 13th. Not the worst but one of the worst. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this mess. As you can see in the screenshots, when I try to fix boot or work on the Bootrec, it says it is missing. It says windows is not on the computer. Then when I did the bcdedit, it shows all the correct information for windows.

Another error I am getting is :Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6.

I did create a Hiren's boot disk and so I can access the files. Most files seem okay but something went really wrong that mysterious update. I did attempt to remove recent updates from the recovery portal, again, failure.

Any ideas would be great. I really do not want to rebuild. I am a serious nerd and to get my system how I like it would take probably 100 hours. So many settings and applications plus hundreds of gigs of video games to redownload.

How can I share logs?

I am could be missing something simple. What can resolve the access denied issues?

Attachments

• 20230113_144706 (Medium).jpg
    20230113_144706 (Medium).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230114_122856 (Medium).jpg
    20230114_122856 (Medium).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230115_110955 (Medium).jpg
    20230115_110955 (Medium).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230115_113204 (Medium).jpg
    20230115_113204 (Medium).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230115_113421 (Medium).jpg
    20230115_113421 (Medium).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230115_113600 (Medium).jpg
    20230115_113600 (Medium).jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230115_113723 (Medium).jpg
    20230115_113723 (Medium).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230113_083214 (Medium).jpg
    20230113_083214 (Medium).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55
Excellent post and honestly you've covered pretty much everything I can think of. Personally I'd just go for broke and re-install but i can understand your reluctance.
Hopefully another forum member will read your thread and have some idea...

Unless Lenovo has a recovery section on the drive?

well Microsoft clearly decided to install some shit but
windows directory when I am running it instead of the x drive
it sounds like you are saying Windows is not in C drive on this system... that would bluescreen or if you are just temp doing this to work around the boot error its a case of Microsoft has more permissions than you as the user i.e, the current boot files belong to them as system level not you as admin or user

personally I'd grab another new drive [swap out the current drive] and fresh install Windows to that then copy over whatever i wanted to keep off the old drive later because this could be hardware fault and frankly new drives are cheep so its the path of least stress ime

Excellent post and honestly you've covered pretty much everything I can think of. Personally I'd just go for broke and re-install but i can understand your reluctance.
Hopefully another forum member will read your thread and have some idea...

Unless Lenovo has a recovery section on the drive?
Thanks for the props.

No, the windows recovery system is broke and there was no lenovo one that is functioning either. I do see the 1000mb partition for the lenovo build windows recovery but it wont boot.

well Microsoft clearly decided to install some shit but

it sounds like you are saying Windows is not in C drive on this system... that would bluescreen or if you are just temp doing this to work around the boot error its a case of Microsoft has more permissions than you as the user i.e, the current boot files belong to them as system level not you as admin or user

personally I'd grab another new drive [swap out the current drive] and fresh install Windows to that then copy over whatever i wanted to keep off the old drive later because this could be hardware fault and frankly new drives are cheep so its the path of least stress ime
Windows is on the D drive or C drive depending on what OS I am booting too.

What I was unsure about is when I am using the recovery software and it is on X: drive. I wanted to verify if that Windows Boot media is confused and thinking I do not have proper privilege's to make these changes. It does not make sense to me but this fiasco does not really make sense anyways.

As for cost. It is a 2tb Samsung NVMe SSD 980 PRO, so not really cheap. I have thought about this, just grabbing another one, but $240 with tax is bit of money. :( Not a horrible idea but I was hoping to fix instead of replace, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom