Windows 7 Best Graphics card

lostsoul65

I don't know how many types of graphics cards there are but I understand that there are 2 basic ones which are ATI Radeon HD and NVIDIA GeForce GT or just Radeon and GeForce? My NVIDIA GeForce GT (1 gig RAM) will play Rage on my Intel E6550 and AMD955 but if I put in the ATI Radeon HD (1 gig RAM) on these computer Rage won't play. So I'm going to build a Game Computer and put in the right graphics card. Can anyone recommend a card for under $200?

Rage doesn't have very demanding specifications. - Link Removed - Invalid URL

Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or Equivalent AMD
  • Memory: 2GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 25GB
  • Video Card: GeForce 8800, Radeon HD 4200
Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Hard Disk Space: 25GB
  • Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Radeon HD 5550

Which cards were you using exactly? GeForce GT and Radeon HD has a wide range of cards. There should be numbers that differentiate them from one another.

I'm not sure why the Radeon HD 5750 will not work, it definitely falls within specifications. Did you uninstall (probably should be done in Safe Mode) the GeForce drivers before installing the Radeon card? I've often heard this was an important step in switching between Radeon and nVidia.

Getting back to your primary question:
Your probably gonna want a GTX 460, 560, 660(newest generation), or better such as the 670 and 680. Since you have a budget of $200, ill hold back one generation and suggest the GTX 560 for $150.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm an Intel/nVidia fan. I've nothing against AMD but have little experience with their products.

I'm with you there, cliff.

If you're comparing the 5750 and the 240, the 5750 (in my opinion) would be the better choice (although it kills me to admit that an ATI product is > NVIDIA).

However, for a bit over the price of $200, you can get the MSI Radeon 7850 OVERCLOCKED here: Newegg.com - MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
If you're looking for definitively under $200, the Sapphire HD 7850 is also a good choice:
Sapphire 11200-01-20G HD7850 2GB GDDR5 OC Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However, if you're just playing RAGE or other similar games (not very GPU-intensive) then you might as well get a GTX 650Ti, Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, and spend the other 50 or so dollars on a better CPU cooler, or an SSD, or a better case or whatever.

I was going to blame it on my computer about playing Rage but it is the Video card. The ATI Radeon HD 5750 is a newer and stronger card than the NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 but the weaker card plays Rage in both computers so I figure maybe there is something wrong with my Radeon card? So would you say that getting a GTX is a better choice than the Radeon?

Your probably gonna want a GTX 460, 560, 660(newest generation), or better such as the 670 and 680. Since you have a budget of $200, ill hold back one generation and suggest the GTX 560 for $150.

This card is an MSI and there is about a half dozen or so companies which make the GTX 560 so is one better than the other?

This card is an MSI and there is about a half dozen or so companies which make the GTX 560 so is one better than the other?

Sorry about the confusion, I was linking to a single card instead of a list. However you might consider using a card that doesn't have a reference cooler design. I have heard the non-reference coolers are often better quality, I personally don't know for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom