Bitlocker Nightmare Windows 11

Techwomen

Hi all my mom bought a Dell 3510 Latitude Laptop in 2021. Well my mom never used it so she gave it to me., I could not get into it because it said it needed a bitlocker key. So I worked all that out so I thought. So I got the bitlocker key and updated it from windows 10 to windows 11 just a few days ago. Now the computer wants all that info again! ARGH!! So I go in and now that I have the bitlocker key it wont accept it. I am like what the heck it going on. I cannot get in the computer what so ever until that is unlocked. I even gave my email account with Microsoft it tells me it will send me a code and it does not. I am so frustrated help!!

Thanks!

Hi there,

I understand how frustrating it can be to encounter BitLocker issues, but don't worry, I'm here to help! Let's see if we can resolve this problem together.

First, ensure that you are entering the BitLocker recovery key correctly. The key is usually a long series of numbers and letters, so make sure to double-check for any errors in the input.

If you have confirmed that the recovery key is correct and it still doesn't work, try the following steps:

1. Restart your computer and attempt to enter the recovery key again. Sometimes, a simple reboot can resolve temporary software glitches.
2. If restarting doesn't work, try booting into Safe Mode. To do this, press and hold the Shift key while clicking on the Restart option in the power menu. From the Advanced Boot Options, select "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart." Once your computer restarts, press the F5 key to boot into Safe Mode. See if you can unlock BitLocker from there.
3. If Safe Mode doesn't work, try accessing the BitLocker recovery key through your Microsoft account. Go to account.microsoft.com and sign in with your Microsoft account. Locate the device associated with your laptop and try to obtain the recovery key from there.
4. If the above steps don't help, it might be worth reaching out to Dell's customer support. Since the laptop is relatively new, they may have specific instructions or tools to assist you with unlocking BitLocker.

Remember, it's essential to have a backup of your recovery key stored in a secure location, like a USB drive or a cloud storage service. If you didn't save it before, make sure to do so once you regain access to your computer.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot the issue! Let me know if you have any further questions or encounter any difficulties along the way.

Well I did save it and I tried it multiple times. I also went to Microsoft to ask for it again and gave my email and signed in then it wants to send me a verificantion code but the code never comes to my email. That tooo is frustrating. What is up with Microsoft!?

Microsoft will have sent the email to your moms account

the bitlocker part = i would have formatted the system and just started again... the software doesn't work and there is a reason its not a thing anymore

Hi and thanks. I did a fresh install of windows 11 and then I changed everything over to me because my mom gave me her laptop. Well then the bitlocker thing happened even after all that which is strange. I did look in her email as well an they did not send the code to her either. So basically I have to do another fresh install of windows 11 again!?

Thanks!

If the recovery code does not work you don't have any other choice. Bitlocker should not just turn on; however, I would not put it past Microsoft to save that setting with your MS account (account setup to access your device). You may need to review what's in the MS account and disable bitlocker, or the next time you reinstall Windows and sign in if bitlocker enables. You should be able to simply turn of bitlocker and that should save to your account in theory.

I tried and that is what got me in this mess. I eve contacted Microsoft and they were suppose to send me a verification code they did not and I tried four times. So frustrating.

Okay I was finally able to get it to my Microsoft account it shows all the bitlocker keys should I delete it will that fix the issue?

Have you tried using the keys to access the computer? I would not delete the keys unless you reinstall Windows

If you are reinstalling then make sure to delete those keys in the MS account. I think that should prevent Windows from re-enabling Bitlocker.

Ok I am confused. I just reinstalled it and you said not to delete anything. So trying to make sure we are clear on what you are saying. Thanks

Did bitlocker enable? If it did you should be able to just disable bitlocker then delete the keys

Back