Windows 7 Black Border on Full Screen Games

Kaasha

After installing American McGee's Alice on my laptop, none of my games would run fullscreen mode right. Instead of scaling the image to my screen, the game is centered with a black border around it. I've tried lowering my resolution, only the same thing would happen to my screen. Is there anything I can do about this?

It actually started to happen after I updated my driver to the latest version due to unbearable flickering in games. Those were fixed, but now this issue has come up.

You need to adjust the scaling options to eliminate the default underscan (intended to eliminate any default overscan by your TV). You haven't said which GPU you have but this is how to do it on AMD: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114890&pid=980296#pid980296

It has to be done for every refresh rate and resolution you are using separately, which can be why it shows up for games and not the normal desktop. Sometimes you can alt-tab away from your game and then set it, but if that doesn't work you will just need to find out what resolution and refresh rate the game is using (1080p/720p @60Hz?), set your display manually to that, using display properties, and then adjust the overscan.

Remember though that, on AMD at least, it has a different overscan setting for each resolution AND each refresh rate, so just setting once for 1080p (or whatever your default is) may not be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom