Windows Vista Black screen missing file what ever you call it

blaster00

So i am trying to help a good friend of mine. It seems her new dell insprion 1720 is having a bit of a problem. When you start up the laptop it goes to the bios like usual but then it pops up and displays a missing file error. It appears that windows is missing the msimg32.dll file. i've had problems like this before but i'm used to xp and it's repair features. It seems that vista doesn't supply a repair option like xp's. I've tryed most common methods as well as the options vista provides but re-installing. The only reason i haven't attempted a re-format or re-install is because my friend wants to save personal data still inside her HD. So anyone out there have any ideas or sulotions i may be able to try that won't sacrfice data? I also heard of pluging the HD into another computer and using it as a second storage device then extracting the files from within to a spare HD enabling me to re-install. Is that a solution that may work? Thanks!:D

I see, could you please explain unpacking it? Because i cannot reach the desktop or anything. it really seems that the only thing i have to work with is the command prompt. ihave another machine and a flash drive/floppy/cd what ever works best to move the file to the damaged machine. I just don't know how i would be able to replace it... BUT Thanks for the help! It's most apperciated.

Have you tried booting into 'safe mode' (usually press F8 whilst booting) If you can do that then you'll be able to 'unpack' the compressed file using 7zip (7-Zip ) and place it into the folder mentioned above.

Well this missing file is an image file. so i cannot reach the desktop.this is why i was looking for another way to be able to replace it. I mean shouldn't i be able to do that with the command prompt?

Hmmm.....If there is a command prompt for this I'm afraid I don't know it.. I know you say you've tried the repair function without success, where did it go wrong?

Back