Windows 7 Blank or missing previews in Windows Explorer, please help.

nka

I have lost the ability to preview any files other than pictures in Windows Explorer. I posted a question on SevenForums but did not get a solution there.

I tried a System Restore to a point before the problem started and that did not work. I created a new administrator account and was unable to view any Explorer previews other than picture files. What can I do to restore the Windows Explorer previews? Please help.

*Note: I'm not referring to the Thumbnail previews, I am referring to the new Preview Pane that can be accessed in Windows 7 Explorer by hitting Alt+P or by clicking on a Link Removed due to 404 Error

Preview pane working for Link Removed due to 404 Error

Preview pane not working for Link Removed due to 404 Error, Link Removed due to 404 Error, Link Removed due to 404 Error

When looking at the screenshots, you will notice that with the picture screen, you get a preview of the photo. However, when trying to preview a PDF, .doc, or .ppt, the preview pane is blank. Double clicking on the blank area, opens the respective file in the default program for that file type.

In Windows 7, PDF's you should be able to preview PDF's, Word Documents, Powerpoint files, .Txt files among others. I cannot do that for some reason.

I don't have issues with Thumbnail previews, it is the preview pane that is new to Windows 7. Thanks!

Last edited:
Exactly what type of preview are you referring to, a popup window?

Until you get back, I might check the Folder Options View tab. There are many settings in there.

Is the problem in all folders, or just some, like library folders?

Exactly what type of preview are you referring to, a popup window?

Until you get back, I might check the Folder Options View tab. There are many settings in there.

Is the problem in all folders, or just some, like library folders?
I'm referring to the Windows Explorer preview pane previews. For example, when you select a PDF, you should be able to scroll through the PDF pages, likewise for a Word document or text file. I only have blank preview panes, except for pictures. The folder options are set as they are supposed to as well, with "Always show icons never thumbnails" unchecked, and "Show preview handlers in preview pane" checked.

See this screen for my blank preview of mp3 files

The problem exists in all folders, not just library folders. Also, I created another account to test if that would fix the issue, and it did not. I tried a Windows restore and that did not work either. I'm at a loss as to what has happened.

Back
Top Bottom