Windows 7 blue screen memory management

Ok, it is defiantly my display driver because when the game crashed just now it said display driver stopped working and has recovered. Also when I leave the cover off it gets hotter in my computer because one of my fans is on the cover. But the new drivers are only making it stable for X amount of time.

Ok.. could you tell me which driver your using at the moment? Also have you tried to increase the fan speed on the cards? If you haven't and don't know how there are a number of ways. 1. Download something called 'Ntune', which is a utility by Nvidia and has the option to increase fan speed within it. Get it here: NVIDIA nTune

2. Rivatuner. This is a great utility for overclocking and other graphical tweaks. It is also capable of controlling the fans with settings enabling you to set up a high and low limit. Get it here: RivaTuner v2.08 download from Guru3D.com (I use Rivatuner and can vouch that it's a great little utility)

3. I just thought of another option although this is perhaps a little more drastic. The connection lead on the graphics card fan has several different coloured wires all intertwined.. If you pull the lead from out of it's socket you can then use a sowing needle to detach the blue wire from the connector block. You can then use tape to make it safe against the main body of wires. What this will do is make the fan run at 100% all the time and I've actually done it to my 8800GTS. It does make for a little extra noise but I don't have to worry about the fan not cooling my card.. Anyhow it's your choice.

I am using the most up to date drivers for the 8800 gt from the nvidia website. I installed the software that you linked and put he fans to 100% and I am still checking to see if that fixed it. But one problem that has happened is the screen will freeze in game and then the monitor will turn off and then back on and the game will go back to normal. When this happens sometimes the game will crash and I will get the message that my drivers have stopped working. So far it has done this once since I have put the fans to 100% and it did not crash when it happened.

Hi Codfish
sounds like we're getting close to a solution... Do you have the service pack installed? The reason I ask is because this contains several updates which a SLI set up benefit from. Plus Nvidia have just released some very good beta drivers, which again I think you may benefit from, get them here:
GeForce Release 174
The link is for the US version, don't forget if you live outside of the US to use the international version. I use these betas and they are very fast and many forum users are saying they're the best Nvidia has released so far.

I have installed the beta drivers and the problem is still there. I have also downloaded all the latest vista drivers. Could it be that one of my cards is damaged? The only other thing I can think of is that eve has a hard time with the 8800 cards but I could not find anything on the forms of others that are having the same problem. I have now uninstalled the beta drivers because they were causing eve to become unstable faster than before. Hear is some new information the message I get is Display driver nvlddmkm failed but recovered.

Hi Codfish,

sorry those didn't work for you.. What is the output of the PSU?

As for the nviddmkm error check out this page here although answers are a bit limited:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

You didn't say if you had the service pack installed?

I have installed all the service packets for windows vista and I have a 600 watt pcu. I checked out that link you gave me and you are right it is laking :). Thanks again for all the help :).

Bugger! I thought we'd got some where... Ok no problem... Next question, what chip are you running?

Ok, I just checking it wasn't a quad which in that case your PSU would have not been powerful enough... Are all your other drivers up to date? Things like chipset ect? Plus do you run the 'Dual-core optimizer' driver for AMDs? You can get it here:
AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Utilities and Updates
It's in the middle of the web page. I know your running an opteron but I'd try it non the less. I run it and it does make a difference in games..

All my drivers are up to date. There has been a problem with my sound card in that during loading of company of heroes my sound will get really choppy. Especially if I am talking on Ventrilo at the time that the loading screen is on. I was looking at the eve online forums and I found that people have been having a hard time with some sound cards. The thing is though I disabled the sound in game and it still crashed.

I put on the optimizer but I have not noticed much of a difference. As for the sound problem I mentioned that has been going on for a long time and has not done anything bad to the games.

Hi Codfish,

Ok this needs to be sorted...
Can you give me a COMPLETE list of what is running in your rig eg what type of mobo, RAM, HD, ect..
Also can you try and remember which graphics drivers you've tried.

Hi Codfish,

Ok this needs to be sorted...
Can you give me a COMPLETE list of what is running in your rig eg what type of mobo, RAM, HD, ect..
Also can you try and remember which graphics drivers you've tried.

OK hear is my list.
mobo ----asus a8n32-sli deluxe
video -----2 nvidia 8800 gt 512m
memory ----4 sticks of 512 corsair
power supply ------enermax series eg701ax-ve 600w
cpu -------dual core amd opteron processor 180
sound card -------creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs
hd --------western digital caviar se 320 gb
floppy drive-------- mitsumi 1.44mg
cd rom--------- plextor 18x dvd burner

As for the drivers I am currently using the the most resent non beta drivers from there website. I have tried the beta ones that you gave me.

Hi Codfish,

thanks for the info. I checked through the Asus site/FAQ/Forum without finding any answers..:confused: Apart from suggesting you make sure you have the very latest bios. I know you recently flashed the bios but didn't say which version you were using?
The only thing I can suggest is make sure you have the very latest drivers for everything and try a few different drivers for your graphics set-up as some work better than others. If you look here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-ForceWare-Vista_c32.html
This is a whole page full of recent Nvidia drivers for vista. Try the 169.44 first as I remember them being pretty good.
The last thing I want to mention is if I remember correctly you did say that if you took the 4th stick of RAM out, the machine ran fine. I have heard in forums where mobos not liking all the slots being used maybe yours is one of them?
So with RAM being so VERY cheap at the moment have you considered buying 2 sticks of 1GB instead of having the 4@512? You never know you may be able to run the 2 sticks of 1GB and 2 sticks of 512.... With them being different your mobo might just work.. You know how weird these machines can be..:cool:

Back