Windows 7 Blue Screen [Network]

Neji

I'm using Windows 7 build 7077 and suffer from BSODs when connected to my home network. I connect using a Belkin USB Wireless G Adaptor and aslong as I'm not connected to the network, it's fine but once I connect I get Blue Screens.

The driver is installed all the time so I'm not sure if it is just the adaptor that Windows doesn't like (I get the same crash on Vista) or whether it is another piece of software.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar problems or ideas how to fix it. I'm considering buying another adaptor but don't want to waste money on something that won't work.

My System:
Q6600 Quad Core Processor @ 2.4GHz
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
4GB Ram
Windows 7 beta build 7077 64 Bit

Anything else you need to know, let me know and I will happilly provide it.#

Thanks in advance.

I'm using Windows 7 build 7077 and suffer from BSODs when connected to my home network. I connect using a Belkin USB Wireless G Adaptor and aslong as I'm not connected to the network, it's fine but once I connect I get Blue Screens.

The driver is installed all the time so I'm not sure if it is just the adaptor that Windows doesn't like (I get the same crash on Vista) or whether it is another piece of software.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar problems or ideas how to fix it. I'm considering buying another adaptor but don't want to waste money on something that won't work.

My System:
Q6600 Quad Core Processor @ 2.4GHz
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
4GB Ram
Windows 7 beta build 7077 64 Bit

Anything else you need to know, let me know and I will happilly provide it.#

Thanks in advance.
  1. What is the Make and Model of your Motherboard?
  2. Can you upload a Screen captured JPG image of your Device Manager? [ Rt- click Computer>Properties>Device Manager]
  3. Check your Event Viewer> Administartive Events > for Critical errors for clues to next troubleshoot [ click Start > type EVE in Seach programs and files box [ENTER] --->Event Viewer]
Hope this helps to start the troubleshoot.
Based on your posted data all fingers are pointing toward Belkin USB Wireless G Network adapter as the culprit and the lack of proper driver for Win 7 the underlying issue.
Your Belkin Wireless adapter Version and FCC number may tell you whether that has a VISTA driver.
Check this site for details : Link Removed due to 404 Error

1. ASUS P5QL PRO
2. Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've had a look at the critical errors but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, it all looks gibberish to me :D

The strange thing is that I have moved the adaptor from a USB extender cable onto the front USB port on my PC, I've been surfing for a while now and haven't had any crashes. I'm going to set a download away while I go out and see if it survives a couple of hours.

The driver I'm using for my adaptor is a Vista 64 Bit one which I had to install in Compatability mode.

Fingers crossed, changing the USB port has fixed my problem.

Thanks for your reply.

1. ASUS P5QL PRO
2. Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've had a look at the critical errors but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, it all looks gibberish to me :D

The strange thing is that I have moved the adaptor from a USB extender cable onto the front USB port on my PC, I've been surfing for a while now and haven't had any crashes. I'm going to set a download away while I go out and see if it survives a couple of hours.

The driver I'm using for my adaptor is a Vista 64 Bit one which I had to install in Compatability mode.

Fingers crossed, changing the USB port has fixed my problem.

Thanks for your reply.
Come to think of it I have had a similar problem using an Encore Wireless G USB wireless adapter connected through USB adapter extension cable to the USB-2 port of MoBO. As you did in this troubleshoot, I connected the Device directly to the USB port and solved the problem for good! Attached is the JPG image of the offending device supplied by Encore that caused me one hour of confusion!

Must be that then. Glad to get is sorted. It's been downloading since I posted the last message and no crash yet.

I'm just wondering now if it is the same for all devices or just Wireless Adaptors.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe it isn't fixed.

I went to download a couple of files from a newsgroup and got the bluescreen again. Similar to before - it's only happening when downloading. I can surf the internet and do other stuff but as soon as I download from newsgroups - in different programs - it just BSODs :(

Last edited:
Must be that then. Glad to get is sorted. It's been downloading since I posted the last message and no crash yet.

I'm just wondering now if it is the same for all devices or just Wireless Adaptors.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe it isn't fixed.

I went to download a couple of files from a newsgroup and got the bluescreen again. Similar to before - it's only happening when downloading. I can surf the internet and do other stuff but as soon as I download from newsgroups - in different programs - it just BSODs :(
It looks like the Champagne bottle was uncorked a lil too soon:)

I am still bothered about the Event log not being looked at more carefully. Since BSOD screens disappear too fast to get a chance to Read the STOP ERROR, you might not have got those long string of letters and numbers .

You need to make the computer stop on a BSOD and not automatically restart when an error occurs. You can accomplish that by making some changes in System Properties.
Right-click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab
Scroll down to the bottom and locate the Startup and Recovery section and click Settings.
In the next poup go down to System Failure section and locate 2 check boxes
Uncheck [] Auto Restart Now, when a BSOD occurs, the STOP error will be displayed on the screen, together with the error message. Make a note of the hexadecimal error number

Google for that error and solution. MS may already have troubleshoot for the error!

I think the event log has the numbers anyway, so I can check with that. The problem is it's different numbers everytime even though it is the same event (or seemingly, anyway) that causes the BSOD.

I've had one with my Nvidia display driver which seems to be a problem with my GPU (8800 GTX) not liking Windows Vista/7 very much. I've then had one with a usb driver. I've managed to borrow another Belking Wireless adaptor which is a different chip number and it has been running ok, even when downloading from newsgroups. So I will see how I get on and if I get another BSOD I will get the error number and Google.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom