Windows 7 BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH >> UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

abc9873

Hi helpers,

It's a very strange situation I am stuck on since yesterday.

When I turned on my laptop yesterday, that windows did not load properly and came up with Blue Screen of death with this 'Unmountable Boot Volume' error.

After tons of research online, I found so many different tricks to get it working but no luck so far.

I can't boot my laptop at all, I get to the Windows Recovery Page which gives me 2 options:

1. Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) >> This doesn't work, comes up with the windows 7 background with a cursor and stays there for ever, no dialogue box or anything.
2. Start Windows Normally. >> This keeps me putting into the blue screen of death loop.

So, I then inserted the Win 7 DVD to boot windows from there and perform Start-Up Repair. >> That's doesn't seems to be working either.

I have also performed the chkdsk, chkdsk /r, chkdsk /f /r, but NO luck at all. Tried bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr. But that did not helped either.

I am not sure what has caused this problem, but it is just doing my nut in now. I got 2 partitions on my HDD, 1 with Operating System with some data under my user profile and 1 partition with all my data.

I am wondering if there's anyway I can get round of this situation and get it fixed, if not then If I did a clean install then WILL I LOSE BOTH THE PARTITIONS or the one with just the operating system on it? Plus, if it's just the operating system partition which will be lost, then anyway to get my personal data out from there?

Guys, your help will be really appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Cheers!

Why did nobody even bother looking at my post? I have posted this problem about 10 hours ago and there have been only 36 reviews?
Is the title too complicated to understand or what?

I worked yesterday, then I went to a friend's house and fixed their computer, then I went home and mowed the lawn, then I took the dog for a walk, then we went out for a late dinner.

Also, BSOD analysis isn't real easy and it takes a lot of work to get good at it. As such, there just aren't that many of us who do it.

FYI - I generally am online from 5am to 7am Eastern time in the USA. I work things in a certain order every day
- first I work the replies to topics that I'm currently working
- then I work 4 different forums (this is the one that I start with) to get as many new posts as I can.
- during this time I also have to let the dogs out, give them their medicines, make coffee and wake up my wife for work.

As for your problem, the most common reason for this is a failing hard drive. Please run the bootable diagnostics from here: Initial Hardware Diagnostics As I suspect the hard drive, it's advisable to start with that test. Please let us know the results of the tests so we can move on from there.

What affect (?effect?) the clean install will have on your partitions is unknown - as we don't have enough info about the recovery method that you will use. What method will you use to perform the clean install? If using a DVD, what kind of DVD is it (Microsoft or OEM)?

IMO the best way to proceed here is to use a bootable Operating System disk - such as the Ultimate Boot CD or a Live Linux distro to copy your data onto removable media (DVD/external hard drive). Once that's done (and verified) you won't have to worry about data being overwritten.

As for your problem, the most common reason for this is a failing hard drive. Please run the bootable diagnostics from here: Initial Hardware Diagnostics As I suspect the hard drive, it's advisable to start with that test. Please let us know the results of the tests so we can move on from there.

What affect (?effect?) the clean install will have on your partitions is unknown - as we don't have enough info about the recovery method that you will use. What method will you use to perform the clean install? If using a DVD, what kind of DVD is it (Microsoft or OEM)?

IMO the best way to proceed here is to use a bootable Operating System disk - such as the Ultimate Boot CD or a Live Linux distro to copy your data onto removable media (DVD/external hard drive). Once that's done (and verified) you won't have to worry about data being overwritten.

Hi Usasma,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind to take a look this for me please?

Code:
[URL="http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/23836-hibernate-shortcut-create-2.html"]Hibernate Shortcut - Create - Page 2 - Windows 7 Help Forums[/URL]

Thanks!

It's possible that the issues with hibernation are preventing the system from booting. You'll have to run Startup Repair to see if it can be fixed.

If you can't access Startup Repair from the F8 menu on your system, then you'll have to try it with a Startup Repair disc. Instructions are here: How To Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Since you can't get into Windows, you'll have to find another Win7 system of the same bittage (32 or 64 bit) and make the disc from there.

It's possible that the issues with hibernation are preventing the system from booting. You'll have to run Startup Repair to see if it can be fixed.

If you can't access Startup Repair from the F8 menu on your system, then you'll have to try it with a Startup Repair disc. Instructions are here: How To Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Since you can't get into Windows, you'll have to find another Win7 system of the same bittage (32 or 64 bit) and make the disc from there.

If I just switch on my laptop normally withOUT Windows 7 DVD in it, it goes passes the Windows Screen but then it comes up with the Blue Windows 7 background and a Mouse Cursor and it sits like that forever. I have tried doing Start-up Repair this way but it come's up Windows Can't Find Any Solution.

So, what I have done now is, Booted Windows from the Windows 7 DVD, tried doing the Start-up Repair but NO LUCK.

I went to the Command Prompt and did 'Diskpart'. Had a look at the volumes, I got 5 in total.

1. Recovery
2. DVD
3. OS
4. Personal
5. Some bla bla but only 100 mb.

I have just done the Chkdsk /f /r on my personal one and it looks like something is terribly wrong, because it being about 5 hours now that it started doing it and it only got to 12% so far. Plus the weird thing is even though this Partition of the HDD not got anything to boot up the Windows from but still the Chkdsk is coming up with tons of ....

Recovering Orphaned file ....<...> into directory file ...
And, Insufficient Disk Space to Recover Data.

I am planning to do the same chkdsk /f /r on the OS Partition as well, as when I did it before it ran for 16%, stage 4, but then I shut it down because I thought it was frozen as it was working very slow. But now while doing the scan on my personal I can understand it takes way more than the time I expected.

So, once I get this finished, to what it looks like, it will be another 10 hours or so. Then I am "HOPING" to start the chkdsk scan on the OS.

"""" BUT IF YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO BEFORE STARTING THAT (AS THAT WILL TAKE ABOUT A DAY OR SO) DO LET ME KNOW PLEASE, AS THEN THE SCAN MIGHT NOT BE NECESSARY. """""

CHEERS!!!!

With those sort of chkdsk errors, I have to wonder about the hard drive. Please try this free diagnostic: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Your reply was a bit late mate, but still appreciate it.

I have got my OS partition on Chkdsk /f /r just now and I am 100% sure it will take ages. So, once that finishes, I will see if I can then get into Windows and if my laptop works fine, IF NOT then I would follow your link and do a HDD Test. (I'm hoping I should not have to do it)

Let see what happens. I'll keep the topic updated.

Thanks for your help anyway, Cheers!

Back