Boiling eggs

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
I'm desperate. For years I have tried to learn how to boil eggs, so that I could enjoy Karelian Pasty, which I love, with slices of an egg, being the perfect enjoyment. But I just can't get it done! I can't get the eggs boiled so that the "cover" whatever it's called, will come off in a nice way - it comes off with the half of the egg! I've done the thing with cold water after boiling, but it seems to be hopeless. Is there a crucial second time, or something? Have the hen been that careful?

Have you tried this trick:

Also there are various devices that supposedly help you remove the shell.

I just tried the method in the video, and all that I can say about it, is that guy is a lot windier than I am...perhaps in more ways than one. However I thought I would toss in my two cents, by saying that I use a knuckle to crack one end and then the other, followed by tapping the rest of the shell until there are no exceptionally large pieces intact, than I roll the egg between my palms, squeezing the egg some, but obviously not enough to break it, then peel the shell by picking until I get a piece with the membrane sticking to it, and usually it will come off in sheets...perhaps all at the same time.

The method isn't perfect, but it works for me.

EDIT: Tip two...try sprinkling a few caraway seeds on them and see what you think.

Back