Windows 8 Bookmarks and Favorites

Colonel Biggs

I am a new user of Windows 8. Can I presume that bookmarking a web site is similar to adding that site to my Favorites folder in earlier versions of Windows? If so, where do I access these bookmarks once created, and can they be merged with my Favorites folder?

Gordon
Houston, TX

Yes....but it depends on what browser you're using and if you're in desktop mode or app mode. In the start screen...aka metro....with all the tiles, click on the app that shows your desktop. Then click on your regular browser and booking marking is the same. If you are using the IE app, right click the top, then a window should open at the top and bottom, like headers/footers of a page, then right click on the tile you want add to your favorites then click add to favorites.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/favorites-pinning

Yes....but it depends on what browser you're using and if you're in desktop mode or app mode. In the start screen...aka metro....with all the tiles, click on the app that shows your desktop. Then click on your regular browser and booking marking is the same. If you are using the IE app, right click the top, then a window should open at the top and bottom, like headers/footers of a page, then right click on the tile you want add to your favorites then click add to favorites.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/favorites-pinning

I think that I sense the problem. I switched over to Firefox from IE about a month ago. On the desktop, I can reach the dropdown of recently bookmarked sites, as well as my Favorites list, but the two are separate. I suppose that I will have to live with that.

Thanks for your response, regardless!

I haven't found an easy way to transit them from Firefox to IE, but the reverse is easy enough.

Make sure, in the first instance, that your IE favorites are up to date- Open Firefox and, in the first bar item, import. This will give you the option to import favourites and other items into Firefox, you can then modify/move them, as you wish
I do not have FF to hand at the moment, but I think my brief instruction is about it.

If you want your IE and FF to have the same bookmarks, on FF click "Firefox" menu button (left upper corner of the browser) >>> then click "Bookmarks". Another window will pop-up with a heading "Library". Click drop-down menu "Import and Backup" and select "Import data from another browser...". Then follow the prompt.

Last edited:
I haven't found an easy way to transit them from Firefox to IE, but the reverse is easy enough.

Make sure, in the first instance, that your IE favorites are up to date- Open Firefox and, in the first bar item, import. This will give you the option to import favourites and other items into Firefox, you can then modify/move them, as you wish
I do not have FF to hand at the moment, but I think my brief instruction is about it.

From IE to Firefox, the easier way is just to export an html file of your IE "Favorites" and then import this file from FF.

Hmm? I thought my way looked easier. Just import whilst in FF. Or perhaps you meant the other way around?

If you want your IE and FF to have the same bookmarks, on FF click "Firefox" menu button (left upper corner of the browser) >>> then click "Bookmarks". Another window will pop-up with a heading "Library". Click drop-down menu "Import and Backup" and select "Import data from another browser...". Then follow the prompt.

Hmmmmm......I get something different. When I click on Bookmarks, I get the following:

Show All
Bookmark this page
Bookmarks Toolbar
Recently Bookmarked
Recent Tags
Mozilla Firefox
...followed by my list of Favorites shortcuts.

When I installed Firefox, I think that I was asked to import various items, which I did. Maybe this is why my dropdown menu differs from yours?

I installed my Favorites icon to the Desktop. What I am trying to do is merge the "Recently Bookmarked" (shown above) with my Favorites folder. I'm obviously doing something wrong! Sites that I do bookmark show up in this Recently Bookmarked tab, but I'm trying to avoid going to the Firefox site to access them.

Gordon

Hmmmmm......I get something different. When I click on Bookmarks, I get the following:

Show All
Bookmark this page
Bookmarks Toolbar
Recently Bookmarked
Recent Tags
Mozilla Firefox
...followed by my list of Favorites shortcuts.

When I installed Firefox, I think that I was asked to import various items, which I did. Maybe this is why my dropdown menu differs from yours?

I installed my Favorites icon to the Desktop. What I am trying to do is merge the "Recently Bookmarked" (shown above) with my Favorites folder. I'm obviously doing something wrong! Sites that I do bookmark show up in this Recently Bookmarked tab, but I'm trying to avoid going to the Firefox site to access them.

Gordon

You have to CLICK/PRESS "Bookmarks" not hover over it. It will give you this window:

FF.jpg

I think the info you are missing is - after clicking "Bookmarks", you must click "Show all bookmarks". You will then see the picture posted by badrobot.

I think the info you are missing is - after clicking "Bookmarks", you must click "Show all bookmarks". You will then see the picture posted by badrobot.

I don't know, I just click Firefox>>>Bookmarks and then I get that "Library" window I posted above. Here:

FF2.jpg

That is the answer. I imported the Favorites folder/shortcuts from IE. I did not see the bookmarks shown in the Firefox folder (i.e., under Program Files (x86)), but I don't think that that is where they would be stored. Is the next step to merge the Favorites and Bookmarks folders? And, can that be done automatically, bypassing the manual phase?

Back
Top Bottom