Windows 7 Boot Manager Error 0xc000000f

Jannatul Shumi

Hello,
I am using HP laptop. I was using windows 7 operating system. But for some kind of problems i thought to run a set up in my laptop. As i heard from some people that Windows 8 is better than windows 7, so tried to install windows 8. During installation i did format to my installation drive (C: drive) and start windows 8 installation. After running 51% it got stuck so i restart my laptop. But then the installation never start again. It can not be able to boot. I have tried lots of process to pair but nothing works for me. Its showing following error message every time whenever try to reinstall with windows 7, xp or 8 disk.

Boot Manager:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
2.Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3.Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

What I should i do now. Please help me out.

You somehow moved or probably deleted the partition that contains bootmgr and your system cannot access it. Do you have a recovery disc or flash drive? You need to run that.

Since you formatted and erased your OS partition, I would think a Factory Reset using an HP option or a complete reinstall of Windows 7 might be available, depending on exactly what was overwritten. Bad Robot's suggestion may work if the necessary files are still in place.

If that is required and you are willing to remove your Windows 7 install anyway, perhaps you might want to download and install the Windows 8.1 Pre-Release version which is good until Jan. You could try it that way and then reinstall Windows 7 later.

The unanswered questions about OEM installs is, do you have a Recovery Partition with the Factory image, or a separate set of Media for recovery purposes. Protecting the factory image is important and it might be in the Recovery (OEM) Partition, which is normally around 14 GB in size.

Thank you so much for your helpful response. At last i have managed to reinstall windows 7 perfectly through my bootable USB flash drive. Feeling relieve now. :)

Great! If you still want to run that Win 8 just use VMWare just to see if what people told about Windows 8 is true . But in my opinion, they are lying to you. Win 8 sucks! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sometimes Windows installation gets stuck. The first thing to do is simply to wait, and see if it starts to continue. I have installed Windows 7 four times in a row, before I got it there. I doubt that risk has changed with Windows 8. Using a separate partition program, like GParted, or AOMEI Partition Assistant, starting from BIOS, may help. Windows' partition isn't always that good. When you restart the installation, you should start it from nil = delete partitions > create partitions > go ahead.

It's not the worst of ideas to have Windows installed in one partition / disk, and your own files in another. That way you can mess with Windows without risking your own stuff.

Best wishes. :)

If you have any suspicion that there might be viruses or others involved, I heartily suggest that you low / zero format your disk. That's the only true method I trust. It means that your disk will be written to contain mere zeros, while info is written with zeros and ones. This will bring your disk to the original state, and it will kill everything there, so that even NSA can't find anything. Heh.

It takes some time, and it would be best to do it with either your computer manufacturer's tool, or your disk manufacturer's. There are many other tools too. After this, if you decide to do it, you need to format / partition the disk.

However, I don't really see the need for this. Just came to my mind...

Once you've booted to the DVD, then try the following:

· Do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk. Here's the procedure: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html. To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If you don't have either disk, you can make a bootable Recovery Disk using http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try the following:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
http://windows7.iyogi.com/support/windows-7-boot-manager-error/
· bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

· c:

· cd boot

· attrib bcd -s -h -r

· ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

· bootrec /RebuildBcd

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Hello All,

I am facing the same problem as Jannatul Shumi, but I am only using Windows 7 without,I haven't tried to installation another OS in my the laptop.This morning, when starting my laptop Windows failed to start and showed the message that Jannatul showed above.
I tried to proceed with HP Recovery but it indicated that I will be loosing the existing files.

Could you help me find out how to proceed to have the OS up and running again without loosing my files?

Best regards,
Jeff

To start with, did you install anything, hardware or software? Unplug any devices you have connected, especially new ones, try to start.

Concerning software, you might try Safe Mode = press F8 before Windows starts, it may take a few times to manage, as everything goes so very fast = you may need to restart to get the touch. Once there, you may try a Restore point Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery. Pick a point where it worked --- now that was vague...

Hope you get it running.

Back