Windows 7 Boot time over 3 minutes

geo77

Hello all,
After cleaning out a computer I am still having issues with my boot up time, it takes over 3 minutes to get a workable desktop. it boots up to the login interface fairly quickly, but when I log in it takes really long for the desktop to show and when it does it seems to be busy doing something in the background. I also noticed the hard-drive spins heavily when I boot and doesn't stop spining until well after 3 minutes.

Specs:
Windows 7(64 bit) with 4GB of ram Core i3 2.40Ghz

Here is the list of things I've done so far, and can't really think of much else to do.

Installed and ran Ccleaner
Ran avg virus software, as well as search and destroy spyware,
Unistalled unused or unknown applications
Defragmented the hard drive using windows application.
Deleted startup applications using the msconfig tool, as well as the registry.
Stopped services that are not used.
Ran sfc /scannow to check for file system integrity
Ran defrag c: -b for boot optimimization.
Installed Soluto, and I only see windows processes.
As soon as I log in I pull up the Resource monitoring tool and only see windows stuff reading and writing on disk.

Don't know what else I can do to trouble shoot this problem, my last resort would be to reinstall the OS, but would really want to avoid that right now.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:
You might try uninstalling AVG for now and see if that could be the culprit for slow start up. If that works great. Make sure your hard drive firmware is up to date.

I actually forgot about that, I uninstalled AVG and installed the windows security tools.

Hello all,
After cleaning out a computer I am still having issues with my boot up time, it takes over 3 minutes to get a workable desktop. it boots up to the login interface fairly quickly, but when I log in it takes really long for the desktop to show and when it does it seems to be busy doing something in the background. I also noticed the hard-drive spins heavily when I boot and doesn't stop spining until well after 3 minutes.

Specs:
Windows 7(64 bit) with 4GB of ram Core i3 2.40Ghz

Here is the list of things I've done so far, and can't really think of much else to do.

Installed and ran Ccleaner
Ran avg virus software, as well as search and destroy spyware,
Unistalled unused or unknown applications
Defragmented the hard drive using windows application.
Deleted startup applications using the msconfig tool, as well as the registry.
Stopped services that are not used.
Ran sfc /scannow to check for file system integrity
Ran defrag c: -b for boot optimimization.
Installed Soluto, and I only see windows processes.
As soon as I log in I pull up the Resource monitoring tool and only see windows stuff reading and writing on disk.

Don't know what else I can do to trouble shoot this problem, my last resort would be to reinstall the OS, but would really want to avoid that right now.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just loading stuff off your hard disk shouldn't take three minutes. A couple of thoughts:
  • Something is going online--either checking for updates, or loading virus definitions, or synchronizing something with a cloud application (or malware uploading your address book, banking information, and all of your previous day's keystrokes).

• An automated backup program is doing its thing.
A few things to test:
  • See how long it takes to boot in safe mode.

• Temporarily disable access to the Internet during bootup and see if it makes a difference or if you get a message saying something couldn't connect.

• Try setting everything that is not necessary for the computer to work (everything not part of safe mode), to delayed start. That will allow you to begin working sooner (although it will be slow because you will be competing for resources with all of the delayed stuff).
BTW, how long does Soluto say the bootup takes?

Do you happen to have an external HD connected? That can slow the boot noticeably.
Joe

If you can, you might check the Task Manager or Resource monitor to see what might be using the CPU cycles.

Thanks all for the suggestions,
Here are my time findings today after doing a little more clean up and taking some of your suggestions.

Computer boots up to log in prompt in :35 secs regardless if I boot up in safe mode, with wireless enabled or disabled.

In safe mode,
:35 secs to login prompt.
1:10 to desktop
1:30 to workable desktop

Normal mode wireless disabled
:35 secs to login prompt
:56 to desktop
1:10 to workable desktop

Normal mode including wireless
2:20 to workable desktop

Can you guys confirm if this is normal for win 7 boot time, or do I still need to keep looking.
I have no external Hds or anything attached.

Mine takes a little less than a minute at the most (normally 45sec). But I am running on SSD.
If you have widgets or anything that opens up and get's updated online at startup, that will drag the speed further down.

Have nothing except windows security and VNC server software loading at boot time.

Have nothing except windows security and VNC server software loading at boot time.

Try to disable VNC and see. Here's my restart time from ON to OFF and back to ON (usable desktop to usable desktop):

restart.jpg

VNC does not take too much time, I disabled it and there wasn't much difference a few seconds at most.
I am not running on SSD.

I am not running on SSD.
There goes the difference. It's worse if it is a 5400rpm HDD. Yours should take about 2 to 3 minutes running on HDD and depending on what is loading at startup. Each program may not take too long to load up, but they load up one at a time. So if you have several startup apps, boot-up time adds up.

Mine takes anywhere from 50 seconds to a minute. My hdd I just replaced with 7200rpm drive. It is a sata hdd.

I just did a disk cleanup and shut down. In booting up it took me 25 seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions,
Here are my time findings today after doing a little more clean up and taking some of your suggestions.

Computer boots up to log in prompt in :35 secs regardless if I boot up in safe mode, with wireless enabled or disabled.

In safe mode,
:35 secs to login prompt.
1:30 to workable desktop

Normal mode wireless disabled
:56 to desktop
1:10 to workable desktop

Normal mode including wireless
2:20 to workable desktop

Can you guys confirm if this is normal for win 7 boot time, or do I still need to keep looking.
I have no external Hds or anything attached.

Wassa matta, you in a hurry? Enjoy life. Sip some herbal tea while your computer is starting up.

But seriously, it sounds like you've invested a lot of time in pursuit of a fast boot. You've stripped it down to essentials. Certainly, 1:10 is not long. Even 2:20 is not extreme or particularly unusual, and you could reduce that by delaying the start of anything that involves online activity. From everything you've checked and done, it sounds like there is little chance that there is something nefarious slowing your computer. Unless it was substantially faster when it was new, it looks like that's just how fast yours is. I wouldn't worry that there is a problem, and you've probably reached the point of diminishing returns in trying to speed it up further. Just turn it on a minute earlier in your day and consume less caffeine so it doesn't bother you as much. :)

Hey Fixer, I guess I'm used to my linux machine boot up time, less than a minute on the same machine and that is including a bunch of servers Apache, Mysql, webmin, ssh.. and others..
The last time I had to worry about any virus or spyware was... wait now that I think about it.. never..:D but I guess as long as corporate America keeps using windows, it will be in my life. :(

Thanks all for the great help..

Hey Fixer, I guess I'm used to my linux machine boot up time, less than a minute on the same machine and that is including a bunch of servers Apache, Mysql, webmin, ssh.. and others..
The last time I had to worry about any virus or spyware was... wait now that I think about it.. never..:D but I guess as long as corporate America keeps using windows, it will be in my life. :(

Thanks all for the great help..

Long Live Linux! (I use Linux Mint 16 on the side).

Back
Top Bottom