Windows 7 BOOTMGR is missing

bunygirl31480

Hi I am trying to help my sister fix her computer, but I am not able to figure out what to do.
Her computer is an HP laptop it is runnung windows 7 . I have created the recovery disk( 32 bit) from online as that is what most sites said to do. After it said it was loading the windows files I clicked next. Then it said system recovery options.
In the box it says (recovered) 292135 MB (d:) Local Disk. It is checked on use recovery tool taht can help fix problems starting windows. I click next. I get a pop up that says this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair,

So then I made the 64 bit recovery disk & restarted. I was unsure if it was 64 bit or 32 bit to start.
pushed F9
C;icked internal CD/DVD drive
pressed a key to boot from CD
Windows is loading files
system recover options clicked next
Same box as above -clicked next
So I have lots of options on this box startup repair, system restore, system image recovery, windows memory diagnostic, and command prompt.
I clicked startup repair
new box clicked finish and it restarted
back to the pop up box system recovery options again
start up repair box. It is searching for problems.
Pop up that said it can not repair automaticlly then quickly replaced by HP recovery Mang.
I have a few options. Microsoft system restore,, system recovery, minimized imagae recoovery.
I clicked microsoft system restore
Message: To use Microsoft system restorer you must exit recovery manager. clicked next
popup box restore system files and settings. No restore points have been created.
I clicked on system protection. Pop up said you computer is running in a limited diagnostic state. If you use system restore in this limited state you cannot undo the restore operation.
Clicked cancel as it is the only thing I can click
and we start all over!!!
Sorry for the length but wanted to give as much detail as posssible. Can anyone tell me step by step what to do? My sister really needs this compuer and I want to help. thanks veronica

Hi

I assume that you don't have a Windows 7 disk?

If you do you should probably use it to do a Repair Install of Windows.
This will preserve all the data on the computer.

If you don't have a disk, be aware that if you select the System Image Restore option, that you will lose everything on the computer. It will restore the computer to the state it was in when you got it.

If she doesn't have stuff she can't lose, this is an option.

If she does then you can either make a Ubuntu disk that will boot your computer and let you copy all of her stuff to a backup, and then do a Image Restore or barrow a Windows 7 64 bit Disk from someone and try and do a Repair install from that. I think you will need to know what her Windows Registration Number is.

One last shot, I don't know if this really works but I have seen a lot of people say that running boot recovery 3 times in a row works when doing it once won't. I have no idea if this is really the case.

I do know that I have never had Boot Repair say that it could fix the problem.
But the computer I ran it on would usually boot after running it anyway.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Ubuntu bootable disk download.

Download | Ubuntu

Maybe some one else has some suggestions but these are all I can think of.

Mike

Hi

I assume that you don't have a Windows 7 disk?

If you do you should probably use it to do a Repair Install of Windows.
This will preserve all the data on the computer.

If you don't have a disk, be aware that if you select the System Image Restore option, that you will lose everything on the computer. It will restore the computer to the state it was in when you got it.

If she doesn't have stuff she can't lose, this is an option.

If she does then you can either make a Ubuntu disk that will boot your computer and let you copy all of her stuff to a backup, and then do a Image Restore or barrow a Windows 7 64 bit Disk from someone and try and do a Repair install from that. I think you will need to know what her Windows Registration Number is.

One last shot, I don't know if this really works but I have seen a lot of people say that running boot recovery 3 times in a row works when doing it once won't. I have no idea if this is really the case.

I do know that I have never had Boot Repair say that it could fix the problem.
But the computer I ran it on would usually boot after running it anyway.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Ubuntu bootable disk download.

Download | Ubuntu

Maybe some one else has some suggestions but these are all I can think of.

Mike
Hi thanks, I tried the system image restore but I got a new pop up that said windows cannot find a system image on this computer.
Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click retry.
Is the disk they are talking about the CD I made for windows 7 recovery?
I do not know anyone who would have the disk for me to borrow and it did not come with any disk at all.

Hi

If your computer came without disks it should have a recovery partition on the hard drive.
Maybe you could find the process for using it on the HP web site.

Check this out and see if it is any help.

How to Boot an HP Recovery Partition | eHow.com

I'm pretty sure that Recovery CD that you made only has tools and the capability of accessing your Images created on a different partition or drive. If you didn't make a system image someplace I don't think it will help if the tools don't help.

If it doesn't have a recovery partition, I don't know what you could do except get a Windows 7 disk someplace.

With a Windows 7 disk you could just reinstall Windows from scratch, but you will have to have here Windows ID number to activate in when you finish.

Mike

Here is a link to a site that offers an ISO file download for Windows 7.
You will have to burn the disk using ImageBurn or similar software.

If you go this route make sure you pick the right one.

Back