Windows 10 BootMGR is missing.

akabl4ck

I've tried everything, from bootrec /rebuildbcd to trying to launch system restores but saying they don't exist, it can't detect my windows installation BUT it says when i do dir C:\ that my files exist.

Can you boot to a recovery disk? Is the drive detected and accessible? The drive letters are logically assigned so the installed Windows isn't necessarily going to be C:

The drive is detectable, i used gparted and it seemed to detect it.
Also edit, yes it is C:

Last edited:
I posted this on the linux.org forum: So when I installed manjaro 20, I chose no bootloader.. quite regret that one. I've been trying to repair my windows installation, can I just install Linux manjaro with its bootloader? Would I be able to boot into windows?

In a dual boot scenario it's better to install grub or any other Linux boot loader since it will detect Windows just fine and quite the opposite if you just use the Windows boot loader

I've got exactly this problem a while ago on my SSD Windows drive.
So if all of these commands don't work:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootsect /nt60 sys /force
then there might be another problem with your system.

" Remove non-bootable discs (HDD, SSD...)

The first and easiest fix is to check for any existing media in your USB ports, or optical drives (CDs, DVDs).
BOOTMGR error will appear if your computer is trying to boot from one of these drives that have a non-bootable media inserted.
Consider changing the boot order from BIOS to make sure your PC boots from the hard drive and not from any other non-bootable."

In my case the problem was the second drive I had, a HDD unit full of bad sectors and possible other problems which surprisingly did affected the SSD Windows drive. I replaced the old HDD with a new one and problem is gone since then. No more missing files. I don't understand how and why a faulty HDD affects another SSD with Windows on it...

If you have other drives, try to disconnect all of them, keep only the system one, after that, run all the commands above and see if it works for you too.
It doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
It depends what's wrong. BCD is a configuration store that tells Windows how to boot. It is not the actual boot loader. If it's a legacy boot system the boot loader will be two stage. Part of it in the MBR record and part within a drive. For a UEFI system the boot loader will be the .EFI file in the EFI partition.

Back