Windows 10 Bootmgr is missing.

Prashant009

SO I used Kali Linux live usb, and I thought live usb would not erase windows but it did. I need help and any solution by which I can use Kali Linux as a live usb and not getting Windows wiped out. Thanks!

A live usb won't write anything to disk which is the point. If you ran the installer then yes would wipe out the boot loader and the rest of your windows install. You should be able to verify the windows partitions are intact or not from kali with blkid then mount and verify the windows filesystem still exists. You can also dump the MBR or GPT partition to see if it's been override with grub or not.

If the Windows partitions are intact and grub got installed you can boot into a Windows install usb/disc and from a command prompt run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd

I didn't install, I used "Live amd64". Then used kali for a little while and restarted without the usb. But then it said "Bootmgr is missing". And all my files from windows is safe.. Except the software itself.

Like I said a live distro won't do anything to the file system unless you run a command to do so

Back