Product Version 9.0.381.1
Virus Signature Database Up to date
NET Frameworks installed
v4.6 Full
v4.6 Client
v3.5 SP1
v3.0 SP2
v2.0 SP2

Tried several times to upgrade my system with Windows 10 but all attempts were not succesfull.
Different faults popped up: : IRQL not less or equal.
After removing my ESET Smart security: kmode exception not handled.
After updating all drivers by Driver Booster: IRQL not less or equal (partmgr.sys).
After a clean installation from a DVD made by the Windows help programme: IRQL not less or equal.

So it looks that I have to continue with the good old Windows 7!! Or does anybody in this forum has a solution for my install problem???

Peter

Morning Piet,
I guess the first question is have you run the compatibility test to make sure your ok to run Win 10?

Secondly, regarding the bsod. if you read the sticky on how to post a dump file you'll find an app which can help you gather the information we need to see.

Applications like 'Driver Booster' are usually part of the problem and your better off not using them. If you need to find drivers then chedck your system support page at the manufacturer.

Anyhoo if you'd like us to read the dump files then please upload them.

Also, make sure that any and all additional usb devices and secondary or tertiary internal storage drives (SATA/eSATA) and printers, webcams, all that are disconnected from the computer during the W10 upgrade. Often these devices contain out of date drivers are hardware that the COMPATIBILITY TEST can't identify but can kill the W10 upgrade process.

Also, from you specs, you appear to be running 2 antivirus programs simultaneously on your W7 system (Windows Defender & ESET). This is an absolute no-no as they conflict with each other and their components block the W10 install program:noway:. We suggest you remove the ESET completely from your W7 setup and disable the Defender for the duration of the upgrade process.

Kemical will advise you further once you post the dump files back to the thread for analysis.

A very common problem we see on computers upgrading from W7 are failed hard drives and failed RAM memory sticks. I suggest you test both of these per these 2 links prior to re-attempting the W10 upgrade:

MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

@kemical: oops! I missed that OP had removed the ESET prior to posting. :redface: You're sure about defender getting automatically disabled when installing a 2nd AV? I haven't experienced that. Most times, when you attempt to install the 2nd AV; the AV software (such as Avast or Norton) will give you a caution box telling you that the program won't install properly unless you disable Defender. In some cases, the 2nd AV also asks you if you wish it to disable Defender for you. I guess they wrote scripts to do so. Clicking yes launches the script, and when done it proceeds to complete the install, sometimes with a reboot required in-between to do so.
BBJ

You're sure about defender getting automatically disabled when installing a 2nd AV?
It would seem we are both right Marc.. :)
If you do install a third-party tool, Windows Defender will probably realize it and automatically disable itself. However, there are some cases where it doesn’t play nicely, so you’ll need to disable Windows Defender on your own.
Windows Defender: 7 Things You Must Know About Microsoft's Antivirus Solution

Dear Kemical and Bigbearjedi,
Thanks for your comments.
First: I tried to upgrade without ESET installed but did not disable Defender.
I have run Memtest86 v4.20 and no errors have been found. About the Hard drive diagnostics: Do you mean by: use Google to search the information listed there). Also check for USB, eSATA and 1394 devices to check via Google what the newest driver version is?? Is there a better programme than Driver Booster to check the driver status?
Kemical: it is not clear to me how to produce and send a dump file: can you please be more specific than read the sticky? I do not know where or what the sticky is.
Piet

Kemical: it is not clear to me how to produce and send a dump file: can you please be more specific than read the sticky? I do not know where or what the sticky is.
Apologies, I usually provide a link but in any case please read the thread here:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Is there a better programme than Driver Booster to check the driver status?
Yes... 'You'.. :) Seriously though, your first port of call should always be to the motherboards support page. There you will find or should find the latest driver available for your machine whether it be audio, network or chipset.
If you take the time to learn where the links are for your driver updates you can save them in your favourites ready for next time. There's nothing like installing the latest graphics driver especially when you've got it right.
Applications like Driver Booster tend to grab the driver files from pretty much anywhere and they're not always fussy about which version they have. Your much better off sourcing the drivers yourself plus your machine will love you all the more for it.. ;)

Last edited:
Hallo Kemical,
I hope I did it in the right way: my zipfile
Piet

Attachments

• W7F_06-07-2016.zip
    770.3 KB · Views: 365
Hi Piet,
much thanks and yes you did it the right way.. :) Unfortunately the zip file contained no dump files which probably means you need to configure your settings so that they are produced when a bsod occurs.

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You will of course need to bsod again before a dump file is produced.

Is this your motherboard:
MEDION - Driver Download

Have you tested your system with the compatibility test? If not then please do so asap.

As soon as you have a a dump file then please post.

Thanks again. I have configured my PC as you proposed. In one of the coming days I expect to cause a bleuscreen again and if it has happened I will try to find the dump file and send it to you.
What is a compatibility test and how can I do it?
Piet

As I said I did not understand your remark about comptability test but noe itis clear to me. I have done this test several times and the message is all items are OK.
And I forgot to mention: yes this is my motherboard as you can see below:
Motherboard
Manufacturer MEDIONPC
Model MS-7616 (CPU 1)
Version 1.0
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 12
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model P55
Southbridge Revision 05
System Temperature 36 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version A7616MLN.10B
Date 11-12-2009
Voltage
VIN0 1.704 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.704 V
VIN2 1.664 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 64 bit
Slot Designation AGP
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI2
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI3
Slot Number 3

Can a second hard disk in my system cause these problems? I have a second hard disk on which also a Windows 7 version (64 bits) is installed.
Piet

Dear Kemical and Bigbearjedi,
Thanks for your comments.
First: I tried to upgrade without ESET installed but did not disable Defender.
I have run Memtest86 v4.20 and no errors have been found. About the Hard drive diagnostics: Do you mean by: use Google to search the information listed there). Also check for USB, eSATA and 1394 devices to check via Google what the newest driver version is?? Is there a better programme than Driver Booster to check the driver status?
Piet
>>>No, you just need to click on the hyperlink with your mouse cursor below, from Post #3:
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
Click on the sentence "Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure" with the underline on it with your mouse. It will automatically open up a web page in one of your browsers (the programs such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, or FireFox that you use to search the Internet). On that page, there are a series of different tests for different manufacturers of hard drives; for example, Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, etc. You'll have to determine the Make of your hard drive, and this may require you to physically remove the hard drive from the inside of your computer case. Let us know if you need help doing that, we can post a self-help video on how to do that. Once you know the brand of your hard drive, you can go to a different computer that has Internet access, and bring up this diagnostic page. Follow the testing instructions, test the brand of your drive with both short and long tests as I mentioned. If the manufacturer's test returns any errors from the test or hangs the computer, that drive is borked and must be replaced!! :waah:
>>>finally, I agree with kemical about trying to use a program to solve software or driver problems. Those are counterproductive, and if you pay a Tech to fix your PC, they will immediately remove any software such as that soon as they start working on your computer on their bench. That is, if they know what they are doing, are licensed, etc.<<<

BBJ

Can a second hard disk in my system cause these problems? I have a second hard disk on which also a Windows 7 version (64 bits) is installed.
Piet
It might well conflict I'm unsure but why don't you try either:

Removing the drive totally and keeping the win 7 install contained
Or
Wipe the drive clean leaving one and only one os on the machine.

Why do you have two copies of windows 7? Are they both legit?

I'd would wait on running any tests too. Let's at least read a dump file first unless of course you've been getting HDD errors.. Please post a dump file asap.

I have two copies on two different hard disks because if one of these Operating Systems crashes I can read the data from this harddisk through the other OS. Both are legit.
After another Bleu Screen I did not find any dump file??

However I found an error report under Systeminformation > Sottware > Windows Error report :
(4-7-2016 16:24 Windows Error Reporting Foutbucket , type 0&#x000d;&#x000a;Naam van gebeurtenis: WindowsUpdateFailure3&#x000d;&#x000a;Antwoord: Niet beschikbaar&#x000d;&#x000a;Id van CAB-bestand: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Handtekening van probleem:&#x000d;&#x000a;P1: 7.6.7601.23453&#x000d;&#x000a;P2: c1900101&#x000d;&#x000a;P3: 2FC5E0BD-22AD-4DDA-88B8-974492B7F07A&#x000d;&#x000a;P4: Install&#x000d;&#x000a;P5: 201&#x000d;&#x000a;P6: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;P7: 30f76cc&#x000d;&#x000a;P8: AutomaticUpdates&#x000d;&#x000a;P9: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}&#x000d;&#x000a;P10: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Bijgevoegde bestanden:&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Deze bestanden zijn mogelijk hier beschikbaar:&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Analysesymbool: &#x000d;&#x000a;Opnieuw zoeken naar oplossing: 0nRapport-id: c4c0f58b-4203-11e6-8d47-40618691eae6&#x000d;&#x000a;Rapportstatus: 0)
A zip file from this report is attached. Maybe this is the same kind of report you asked for?

I also tested the hard disk with tool from the manufacturer Seagate but all tests have been passed without problems.
Piet

Attachments

• Windows 10 Upgrade Error Report.zip
    92.9 KB · Views: 272
Please make sure your settings are correct for dump file creation.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'

Also please ensure you have a page file running.

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

I have two copies on two different hard disks because if one of these Operating Systems crashes I can read the data from this harddisk through the other OS. Both are legit.

However I found an error report under Systeminformation > Sottware > Windows Error report :
(4-7-2016 16:24 Windows Error Reporting Foutbucket , type 0&#x000d;&#x000a;Naam van gebeurtenis: WindowsUpdateFailure3&#x000d;&#x000a;Antwoord: Niet beschikbaar&#x000d;&#x000a;Id van CAB-bestand: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Handtekening van probleem:&#x000d;&#x000a;P1: 7.6.7601.23453&#x000d;&#x000a;P2: c1900101&#x000d;&#x000a;P3: 2FC5E0BD-22AD-4DDA-88B8-974492B7F07A&#x000d;&#x000a;P4: Install&#x000d;&#x000a;P5: 201&#x000d;&#x000a;P6: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;P7: 30f76cc&#x000d;&#x000a;P8: AutomaticUpdates&#x000d;&#x000a;P9: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}&#x000d;&#x000a;P10: 0&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Bijgevoegde bestanden:&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Deze bestanden zijn mogelijk hier beschikbaar:&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;&#x000d;&#x000a;Analysesymbool: &#x000d;&#x000a;Opnieuw zoeken naar oplossing: 0nRapport-id: c4c0f58b-4203-11e6-8d47-40618691eae6&#x000d;&#x000a;Rapportstatus: 0)
A zip file from this report is attached. Maybe this is the same kind of report you asked for?

I also tested the hard disk with tool from the manufacturer Seagate but all tests have been passed without problems.
Piet
>>>Hi again: Good job running MEMTEST & SEATOOLS. That's a pretty good indicator your RAM & Hard Drive are ok. After you finish getting your latest dump file to kemical for analysis, please re-read my Post #3, first paragraph I re-quoted for you here: "...Also, make sure that any and all additional usb devices and secondary or tertiary internal storage drives (SATA/eSATA) and printers, webcams, all that are disconnected from the computer during the W10 upgrade."
Please disconnect that 2nd hard drive you have with the other copy of W7 or W10 or whatever you have on it now!! It's very likely getting in the way of our troubleshooting and us trying to help you! YOU SHOULD ONLY BE USING ONE (1) HARD DRIVE, SPECIFICALLY THE C: BOOTDRIVE (1 physical hard drive in the computer) FOR TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR W10 PROBLEM!! I'm not sure this is the case, but you keep referring to having problems with that 2nd drive and if it could cause this problem you have. The answer is a resounding "YES"!!! o_O
You mentioned you tested 1 drive with
SEATOOLS per the John Carona link I posted for you above. But, you didn't mention whether or not you tested the 2nd hard drive with SEATOOLS as well. That doesn't matter right now, as long as you tested the 1st physical drive (C: bootdrive) on that computer and disconnected/removed your 2nd hard drive from the computer case, then we know we are only dealing with 1 hard drive and not 2 at the same time. Once we fix your BSOD problem on the 1 drive (C: bootdrive), then and only then should you hook up the 2nd hard drive to your PC again (preferably after testing it with SEATOOLS and it passing). Should your BSODs return with the 2nd hard drive connected; that would be a clear indicator that the 2nd hard drive has failed and must be replaced.:waah: And if you are redirecting your Cache file there as well, and that drive is also full or the drive has failed it is the most likely culprit for cause of your BSODs.:victorious:<<<

BBJ

Dear Kemikal,
I have a pagefile.sys (3,2GB)
I have run sfc /scannow. No violations of integrity have been found.
I have removed the second hard disk..
After this I have tried another upgrade; after dowloading and installing the upgrade ends with a blue screen with 5% of the upgrade completed (and 18% copying of files) with the message: IRQL not less or equal (partmgr.sys)
As I said before I configured before my desktop according your guidelines (the small memory dump showed 128 kB?) and the map: %SystemRoot%\Minidump but I could not find any dump file after the BOSD. Where do I have to look for this map?
I found another file which possibly may be interesting for you; unfortunately it is in Dutch?
Again thanks for spending your time on this topic.
Piet

Attachments

• Beheergebeurtenissen.zip
    57.3 KB · Views: 309
Hi Piet,
please run a chkdsk making sure you use the options to look for and repair broken sectors:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

As I said before I configured before my desktop according your guidelines (the small memory dump showed 128 kB?) and the map: %SystemRoot%\Minidump but I could not find any dump file after the BOSD. Where do I have to look for this map?

128kb? Here are the settings again:

In the drop down menu choose 'small memory dump (256KB)'

Dump files can be found in a folder marked 'Minidump' which is inside the main Windows folder.

Back
Top Bottom