Windows 7 Broadcom Wireless Issue "No Internet Access"

tnslocum

I have a Compaq C712NR Laptop that is using a Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Adapter. The laptop came with Windows Vista pre-installed, and I've never had any issues with it previously. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and I can no longer get internet access. Here is my best description of the problem and what I've tried to do to fix it.

The adapter is using the latest driver from HP (dated 10/22/2008) and the computer says it is running properly with no issues found. The wireless connection from my router is detected by the computer and I'm able to connect to the network. The wireless icon in the lower right corner shows an exclamation point and the words "no internet access" if you mouse over it. If you double-click on it, the picture shows a connection to the router but no connection to the internet.

I opened up the command prompt window and typed "ping www.google.com" and lo and behold I got a reply. The weird thing is that right after I received the first reply from www.google.com, the "no internet access" message went away and the wireless menu shows a valid connection to the internet. However, I still have no internet access through IE, Firefox or Outlook Express (command prompt ping still works). I have tried to re-install the driver. I am unable to access the router in IE or Firefox by going to 192.168.1.1.

I seem to be getting mixed messages from Windows about whether my network access is good or not (obviously it isn't). I've also tried unplugging everything in my network (router, modem, etc), but this didn't work either.

I'm out of ideas, and I really need to get this computer up and running. Any suggestions?

If you have the network sharing center open, you might be able to click on a red X or something else to start a trouble shooter. Those seem to work pretty well.

While in the network sharing center, check the Local Area Connection then details to see what IP addresses are being used by your system.

What firewall are you using? Do you show your network adapter working normally in Device Manager?

Back
Top Bottom