Windows Vista Browsers not accessing Internet, everything else able to

Navin

I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, and I have a strange issue with Internet access. I have DSL from a wireless router.

Whenever I start the computer, there is no issue with Internet access - all applications are able to go online without a problem. However, after a while - anywhere between 30 minutes and three hours - browsers are unable to access the Internet.

All other apps are able to connect - FileZilla, Windows Media Player, Windows Update - and I am able to ping all websites.

However, no browser is able to connect - I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera.

I have ZoneAlarm Pro, and have not been able to figure out anything with its settings. The situation persists even after I shut down ZoneAlarm Pro.

A restart resolves all of this, and I am able to browse - till the next time it goes 'offline'.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, and I have a strange issue with Internet access. I have DSL from a wireless router.

Whenever I start the computer, there is no issue with Internet access - all applications are able to go online without a problem. However, after a while - anywhere between 30 minutes and three hours - browsers are unable to access the Internet.

All other apps are able to connect - FileZilla, Windows Media Player, Windows Update - and I am able to ping all websites.

However, no browser is able to connect - I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera.

I have ZoneAlarm Pro, and have not been able to figure out anything with its settings. The situation persists even after I shut down ZoneAlarm Pro.

A restart resolves all of this, and I am able to browse - till the next time it goes 'offline'.

Anyone faced this issue before? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Have you scanned for virus's and spyware?

If your scans for virus come out clean. Totally un-install Zone Alarm. For some reason some laptops have this kind of problem with Zone Alarm. Somebody said, "he had to completely un-install it to fix his connection".

Solved it! I was being an idiot and had overlooked the most basic of things - Internet Properties > Connections > LAN Settings!

'Automatically detect settings' was unchecked. After I checked it, I haven't faced the issue.

Thanks for all the answers - I know where to come if I have Vista questions :)

Back
Top Bottom