Windows 7 BSOD after opening mumble

devoter

Hello

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 32680 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 3716 MB; E: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 485297 MB;
Motherboard: ASRock, Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Antivirus: None

Just ran a TGS Sysinfo for this^ and it doesnt' seem to be detecting my graphics card... not sure what that means.

I bought a new power supply today only to have the fan not stay spinning. So I put the old power supply back in, and started getting blue screens right after logging in. I restored to two days ago, and it seemed to fix the problem of instantly blue screening. Now, I'm blue screening after opening Mumble. I haven't tested out many other programs yet, but it's a definite thing when I do open mumble. I was able to zip my minidump folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment Minidump.zip

Last edited:
Have you been able to use the old power supply previously with this same hardware and it worked fine? If you haven't tried, there's a possibility the old PSU can't handle the hardware (remember wattage output reduces with age).

I checked these crashdumps, all from the same day and only few minutes apart. Oldest one was caused by a registry corruption. I'm not sure if the restore happened before or after this one, but it's good to run CHKDSK to be sure. The rest were caused by a bug in the Etron USB 3.0 driver, which it seems to be improperly handling some kind of USB Audio I/O. I'm not sure what USB devices you have connected, but it may be related to some headset or mic of some kind connected to a USB port (doesn't have to be USB 3.0). The driver is dated Jan 28, 2011, so check for an update on your motherboard manufacturer's website. Also check for updates on the chipset drivers on that website, audio drivers as well as BIOS since those three can also influence this. If you are using a headset/mic of some kind and you had specific software installed for it, check an update for that as well. Also change around USB ports for your USB devices to see if the symptoms subside from that. If they do, you have a bad motherboard with broken USB ports and therefore the mobo will need replacing.

Analysts:

Oldest crashdump is from a 0x74 bugcheck. Explanation for it in !analyze -v is easy enough to figure. The rest are identical, down to the callstacks and the faulting instruction. Perusing the thread stack I found c0000008 (An invalid HANDLE was specified) and c000009d (STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED) errors. I'm awfully curious about the device not connected error, since it comes before the invalid handle. Part of me thinks this device spontaneously disappeared while audio I/O (usbaudio and related modules showing up) was being performed on it, and the Etron USB driver isn't handling that scenario very well and is still trying to continue things like it never happened. The surprise disconnect may be something caused by an internal fault with the USB port the device is connected too, whatever that device is.

Last edited:
Have you been able to use the old power supply previously with this same hardware and it worked fine? If you haven't tried, there's a possibility the old PSU can't handle the hardware (remember wattage output reduces with age).

I checked these crashdumps, all from the same day and only few minutes apart. Oldest one was caused by a registry corruption. I'm not sure if the restore happened before or after this one, but it's good to run CHKDSK to be sure. The rest were caused by a bug in the Etron USB 3.0 driver, which it seems to be improperly handling some kind of USB Audio I/O. I'm not sure what USB devices you have connected, but it may be related to some headset or mic of some kind connected to a USB port (doesn't have to be USB 3.0). The driver is dated Jan 28, 2011, so check for an update on your motherboard manufacturer's website. Also check for updates on the chipset drivers on that website, audio drivers as well as BIOS since those three can also influence this. If you are using a headset/mic of some kind and you had specific software installed for it, check an update for that as well. Also change around USB ports for your USB devices to see if the symptoms subside from that. If they do, you have a bad motherboard with broken USB ports and therefore the mobo will need replacing.

Analysts:

Oldest crashdump is from a 0x74 bugcheck. Explanation for it in !analyze -v is easy enough to figure. The rest are identical, down to the callstacks and the faulting instruction. Perusing the thread stack I found c0000008 (An invalid HANDLE was specified) and c000009d (STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED) errors. I'm awfully curious about the device not connected error, since it comes before the invalid handle. Part of me thinks this device spontaneously disappeared while audio I/O (usbaudio and related modules showing up) was being performed on it, and the Etron USB driver isn't handling that scenario very well and is still trying to continue things like it never happened. The surprise disconnect may be something caused by an internal fault with the USB port the device is connected too, whatever that device is.

My hardware was all working perfectly fine with my old PSU, I was just upgrading it because I planned on upgrading a lot of my other hardware. One thing I didn't mention, I DID upgrade my RAM from 8g to 32g. However, I had no problem with it and I don't think that it could cause a BSOD from opening mumble. Will run CHKDSK and look at my drivers and let you know what I get.

I updated the Etron driver which seemed to fix the blue screening, however now I am unable to use my Razer Deathadder mouse in the USB 3.0 slot. The mouse lights up as if it is still recognized, but it pops up with "New Hardware wasn't able to install" and the mouse is just stuck in the center of my screen. It isn't a MAJOR problem, but I don't know if I will be able to use my webcam now. The best thing is I am now able to open mumble without bluescreening. Thank you SO much for your help so far.

Oh dear. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with Razer products and their shoddy driver and hardware construction. It's a mess.

If you haven't already, try plugging the mouse into other USB ports, and also try updating both the drivers for it and the firmware if possible. Also try uninstalling the Razer software and drivers and see if the mouse works fine just with the standard Windows mouse driver (again, try plugging into various ports).

Back