Windows 8 BSOD After Updating Windows Defender

MrC120495

Windows Defender Software automatically updated on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, which is preloaded with Windows 8.1.

When I wanted to shut down my tablet, I chose the option to install updates and for it to shut down afterwards. The next morning I switched my tablet on, the BSOD appeared with an error message reading as follows:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error into, and then we'll restart for you. ( % complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: 0xc000021a"

When the collection of error info reaches 100%, the tablet simply restarts and this loop continues over and over again.

I tried doing research concerning this problem, but had no luck getting any help for my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

It would be highly appreciated if someone could offer a solution to my problem.

Hi,
In order to help you we need to read the dump file created when your machine blue screened. The Dump files are found in a folder marked Minidump. This folder can be found in the main Windows folder. If you can't find it or no dump files are present then you probably need to change settings so they get created:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs,
Once you have some dump files please read the thread found here:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.178480/

Hi,
I am unable to access any files on my system as the continuous loop keeps the system from logging into the homescreen. I therefore cannot access Start menu.

While doing research, a few posts from various sites have suggested that the tablet should be run in safe mode & a few further steps to be taken from there. I do not know how to access safe mode on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Also, many Dell Venue 8 Pro owners have been able to run their tablets in safe mode, but they are unable to get out of safe mode.

I don't suppose you created a system repair disk? If not and you know of any friends running Windows 8/8.1 ask them if they would create a system repair disk. You'll need a DVD that you can write to of course and once created if you set the machine to boot from the repair disk then this will allow you access to safe mode.
https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

Back