Windows 10 HDD issues after updating windows

Zfast4y0u

hello, after latest forced windows update i noticed issues with my secondary HDD drives.

when ever i shut down the pc, my screen goes black for a few sec, then HDD's need a bit more time and spin down resulting in whole PC to be shut down same second. now after this update, my HDD's spin down, turn off for a split second, then again spin up, run for a second or two, and then spin down again, finally turning my pc off.

why is this happening?i try unpluging and pluging HDD's, testing just one, and issue is still there. im really annoyed atm, cause i cant even have my HDDs turned off on idle as i would want since some windows process is constantly spining em up at least once ever 60min ( its usualy 20min max) and now this on shut down too.

Hi

One thing that I can think of, check and see if the update put a Page File on them, that might cause them to spin up if it needs to access them.

I noticed recently that I have Page Files on Drives that I never set up, not just my C: drive.
I tried to remove one of them in disc management but when I ran Defraggler I saw it was still there.

I haven't gone back and looked at it again so far.

You might also look at disk services and see if it has activated somethig like indexing that was off before.

Mike

Last edited:
i tryed all that man. spining up issue is still there, i even went registry edit and turned off some telemetry for hdds and i still get random spin ups, its basicly some process checking on HDDs and that cause em to spin up like 100x a day. and i dont wanna that. so on end i gaved up on letting em spin down on idle. this issue with shut down of pc is annoying me far more, cause it cause HDDs to spin up and spin down without reason on shut down process and that started happening exacly after last windows 10 update..

Hi I found these suggestions sounds like a long shot but you can look at it...

SOLVED!

I stopped being fancy and decided to go in and disable all running services one by one until the computer crashed or my disk stayed idle. Luckily, I didn't need to go all the way to a crash and found the service "Sentinel LDK License Manager Service" to be responsible for the wake ups. I googled it and it seems to be related to Lightworks which I then uninstalled. The Sentinel Service did not uninstall with Lightworks, but somehow my HDD stays idle now that Lightworks is gone.

So, I guess the problem was somewhere there... Lightworks and the sentinel service did not get along and this caused my secondary HDD to wake up through writes in parts of it's "unpartionable" space... yeah that doesn't make much sense to me, but if someone googles this, you know what to do.

I can tell you that I see a lot of people having this issue and a lot of different suggestions as to what to do about it.

I think that you need some kind of diagnostic tool, but I'm not sure what that would be, hopefully someone here will have a suggestion.

I found one post that said that defragmenting the drive stopped it? It's pretty obvious that there can be multiple causes for this.

Mike

Back