Windows 7 BSOD after upgrading Windows 7 64-bit

nosliwec

I recently bought a new hard drive and Windows 7 64-bit. I upgraded from Windows XP and all other hardware remained the same. I am now experiencing random restarts and BSODs.

I had upgraded my drivers and still had problems. I read some forums saying NVIDIA drivers could be the cause, but some were concerning Win7 Beta or newly released. I uninstalled and let Win7 install the drivers automatically. I got a BSOD doing that. I am now at my wits end. Any help?

View attachment Minidump.zip

Hello, welcome.

Wow, lots of bsods heh!

1) Install the latest NVIDIA nForce chipset drivers for your motherboard from its website:

nvm62x64 nvm62x64.sys Fri Oct 17 17:01:06 2008
nvstor nvstor.sys Wed May 20 02:45:37 2009

2) Update the NVIDIA video card driver:

nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Thu May 14 16:48:07 2009

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks. I downloaded the drivers for the chipset and video card. Are those the only two things that were problematic? When I look at my Bluescreen Viewer, I notice mainly dxgkrnl.sys and ntoskrnl.exe as the drivers causing BSODs.

Yep. If there were other issues, I would have mentioned them.

How has the machine been doing since you updated? If there are new crashes, you can post them.

You're welcome.

So far so good. If I come across any more I will let you know. Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately, you have a RAM issue for sure. There were failures in Microsoft drivers and that's what it means.

Suggest to set the failsafe defaults in bios, save.

If any new crashes, run Memtest86+ overnight to see if errors show. If they do, replace the RAM.

---------

Some NVIDIA chipset drivers were not updated. Install from your motherboard site only, instead. Not NVIDIA's site.

I am using an Asus P5N-E SLI board and the only things I can find to download are BIOS and audio drivers. That's why I went to Nvidia. Also, I have tried to use memtest86+. I made a disc of their bootable .iso file but it didn't boot from disc despite having BIOS enabling CD boots.

One other thing, I have been dual-booting with WinXP 32-bit with no issues. I realize 32-bit doesn't recognize more than 3.5 GB RAM and I am running 6 GB, but wouldn't I still have issues running my WinXP partition? I should also note, the majority of my BSODs occur while I play online games or stream videos with flash (except youtube).

Last edited:
You have to burn the .iso as an image and not as a data disc.

It is entirely possible that the fault in the RAM is in a part where the 32 bit OS can not address. And this would be an excellent reason why 32 bit runs well for you while 64 bit does not.

--------

What you should do is extract my nvm62x64 attachment. Then copy/paste nvm62x64.sys over the one at C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Do the same exact thing for the nvstor attachment.

Reboot. This might fix it. If not, do the Memtest86+.

Attachments

• nvm62x64.zip
    134.9 KB · Views: 189
  • nvstor64.zip
    91.9 KB · Views: 186
I did both, inserted the attached drivers and ran a Memtest. The Memtest came back clean. So we will see how the drivers work out. Thanks for the help and finding the files for me.

Left the PC on all night. There were no issues when I got up. I loaded up World of Warcraft and got a BSOD. I then restarted PC and tried running a video from Hulu and got another BSOD.

Here's the newest minidump:
View attachment Minidump.zip

Unfortunately, you have a RAM issue for sure. There were failures in Microsoft drivers and that's what it means.

Suggest to set the failsafe defaults in bios, save.

If any new crashes, run Memtest86+ overnight to see if errors show. If they do, replace the RAM.

Unfortunately, the above applies all the same as it did before. Did you run the test overnight, as in 8-10 passes? Anyhow, even if that shows clean, there is still defective RAM, which is common still.

---------

You can update the Realtek audio driver which is good to do, although it was not involved in the crash.

RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jul 28 09:00:05 2009

Realtek

---------

You can also extract the NVIDIA nForce 15.51 driver package to a folder. Go into the correct IDE folder and find nvstor.sys. Copy and paste it to the driver folder like you did before and reboot.

Then run this command for good measure, from an elevated command prompt:

chkdsk /r

When that's all done, do this one -

sfc /scannow

--------

Concentrate on the memory though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom