Windows 7 BSOD after Windows7 update

David32

After a Windows7 required update yesterday, Windows could not restart and the startup repair could not fix it. Eventually I was able to restore to a previous good state (via the HP Recovery Manager). Soon after restarting work this morning it again wanted to perform the update, presumably the same one - and it had the same result. Again, eventually I was able to restore to a previous good state.
There has been no recent change to my hardware set-up, nothing different attached and I believe no significant software changes recently other than the Windows update. If anyone is able to advise on this I would appreciate it very much as I seem to be on the verge of losing this machine.
The attached file has the W7F files, CPU-Z screen shots and the RAMMon files, so I imagine everything is there. This is an HP Pavilion dv6, about 3 years old, running W7 home premium SP1.
Fingers are crossed.

Attachments

• W7F_16-04-2015.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,312
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C2, {7, 109b, ed0000, fffffa800ad5b010}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for btmhsf.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for btmhsf.sys
GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80003500100
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800035001c0
Probably caused by : btmhsf.sys ( btmhsf+667b )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have a number of Bugchecks and all blame the above driver which is an Intel Bluetooth related driver. I checked for the availability of drivers and I'm pretty sure this is your machine:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...8/model/5177024#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1

If it isn't please post back with the correct make and model of your machine. In any case please update all drivers.

Thanks Kemical.
I've tried to install all the drivers on that page but not all would install (see below). Windows isn't asking to install an update. Is it best to just wait to see what happens, to see whether another problem comes?

I installed everything on that page with the word 'driver' in the title, in the order listed.
sp55093 Seemed to be installing ok but then Fresco Logic USB3 host controller "not found".
55095, 55100, 55105, 57965, 55104 Seemed ok but Program Compatibility Assistant said it "might not have installed correctly".
54471 "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."
55063, 54470 "Bluetooth hardware must be switched on to run this setup package." It seemed to me to be on.
Also, I know it's a Pavilion dv6 but I haven't found a way to confirm the '-sb51sa'.

Hi David,
yup that doesn't sound too bad as some drivers won't be needed and that compatibility assistant can have a mind of it's own at times. See how you go although if you could find out what the offending update was I'd love to know.

I'm suspicious of the driver involved with the fingerprint scanner, as I've had a few odd things happen with the device in recent weeks (occasional logon problems with messages referring to the scanner - even though it's switched off!), but I don't know for sure. Any suggestions how to find out? Is the only way to back out of each driver update in turn and see what happens? I can't help thinking that might take days and might go beyond my patience limit!
Thanks again Kemical.
David.

Is the only way to back out of each driver update in turn and see what happens
Are these driver updates from Windows update? If so then you don't want them anyway. We/I advise against using Windows update to find your drivers for you as more often than not it gets it wrong. If you type this:
sysdm.cpl
into the 'Run' box you'll see system properties appear. Click on Hardware along the top and then Device installation settings. Make sure your settings look like this:
drivers.JPG

Ok I've done that, though my options are a little different to yours.
upload_2015-4-17_11-19-38.png

Do you agree with those choices?
Does this mean I need to periodically check for driver updates and, if so, is the link you gave me the right place to look?

Hi David,
the above looks fine and yes this does mean you will from time to time need to check on updates but if you make a habit of checking every 6 months or so then you'll do fine.

Ok Kemical. I assume I use the same link. I'll put it in my diary.
In the meantime, I'll wait for the next Windows update and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help.
David.

David we never close threads so you can always post back if need be.. Best of luck! :)

No more BSODs but I've been getting something else. Roughly 30% of occasions when I return to my PC to wake it from sleep mode, I find that it will not wake. Pressing the power button brings it to a screen offering safe mode or a normal Windows start-up. Windows does start up normally but it's quite inconvenient - and it's happened twice today.
Any suggestions?

Hi David,
to be honest windows 7 is infamous for sleep related issues and it could be quite possibly anything. Check the Event Viewer for any clues as to what might be happening. In the meantime run a sfc scan to check for corruption. Open an admin command prompt (find command prompt, right click on it and run as admin). Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Hi Kemical.
Just to be clear, I was aware of no sleep-related issues before the BOSD affair that started this this thread. Also, it's now happening too often to be acceptable.
After reading your last comment I ran scannow and, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Next time the problem occurs I'll try it again after checking the event viewer.
Another unusual point: when I'm leaving the PC for some time I usually put it in sleep mode (or sometimes shut it down) but last night for a change I just left it running - and this morning I found it had not put itself to sleep.
More soon.
David.

It's happened again, Kemical. I put it to sleep around 11am and returned around 2pm. sfc/scannow returns the same answer but there are some interesting events. I've copied some into a file. Would you be able to advise how to proceed? Should I return to the link you gave me originally and try to reinstall the drivers mentioned in the 2 event 40's?

Attachments

• sleep_problem_events.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 651
2 event 40's?
Not entirely sure what the above means?

Looking through what you've sent all that can be determined is a component and or driver is causing an issue although as to what it is exactly I'm unsure. If we go by the dump files then it's the bluetooth component or driver which is causing the hassle. Do you have anything else plugged into the USB ports other than perhaps mice or keyboard? You never did say what the actual update was that originally caused all this. did you actually remove the update or have you left it installed?

I listed events data in the file in the format [time, event number, description] and there were 2 events with number 40 (both saying, "The driver ... stopped the power transition.").

The update was simply a message that appeared saying Windows needs to restart to install updates. I was eventually able to restore to a previous good state, which, if I remember correctly, was from earlier that day. I was worried that it would try to update for a third time (I'd gone through a similar ordeal the previous day) but it didn't, so either the work you'd suggested to update drivers had somehow avoided the need for the update or it had somehow happened. I haven't knowingly removed the update and don't actually know whether it is there or not.

The things I have attached to this PC are:
- a USB extender (making 8 USB connections available off the one USB connection on the PC) and this just has a keyboard, wireless mouse and an external storage device (mostly powered off recently and I suspect it was off at the time of the original problem),
- a cable sometimes connected to a phone, connected as a media device.

Thanks David. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue lay within one of these devices connected to your machine. The guide linked to below will show you how to check for which device woke the computer and what devices can wake the computer (which are attached to the machine). See if this helps in tracking down the culprit. Failing that personally I'd remove the components attached and see if the issue disappears. If it does add a piece back and test again. This way may also lead you to the culprit also.
http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

Hi Kemical. More problems!

My sleep occasions recently fall into 1 of just 3 possibilities:
- I put it to sleep, come back later and it wakes ok
- I put it to sleep, come back later and find that it is offering a safe mode boot or a normal boot (so it's too late to see what woke it or even whether it went to sleep ok)
- I don't put it to sleep, come back later and it hasn't gone to sleep, ie the settings saying it should sleep after n minutes have not worked.

So a lot of things on the howtogeek site seemed inappropriate, but eventually I found this one.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/unexpected-shutdown-in-windows-7-home-premium
and followed the link in there to run chkdsk. I checked both boxes - auto fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. It was scheduled to run on next restart so I restarted, got the 'starting Windows' message, then one saying it was about to check the file system - and then a blue screen crash. I tried rebooting a few times but always the same result.

I then removed all USB connections and restarted and this time it ran chkdsk. It took a few hours but said the volume is clean. I rebooted again and all came up again. I put the USB connections back in and restarted again - all ok yet again!

So, unless you suggest anything different, I'll try sleep mode with each of the USB devices unattached in turn. I'll try hibernate as well.
David.

Good plan! Unfortunately troubleshooting can be a long road at times and one needs to exercise patience but we'll get there eventually.

Hi again.
I've tried all kind of tests and nothing has worked: it can crash with any or even no USB attachments and hibernate didn't help either. The only way I've found to prevent it is to set the pc to never go to sleep when plugged in.
The downside of that of course is that I'll probably get a hardware failure sooner rather than later, so if you have any other suggestions ...
David.

Back