Windows 7 BSoD (Attempted Write to Read-Only Memory)

Heliophage

Ever since I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (7100), I've been encountering consistent system crashes whenever the system is stressed, be it by videos or games, for a short while no more than half an hour. I've looked at the crash dumps to try and isolate whatever driver could be the issue, but it seems strange to me, as it wasn't a problem I had with the Windows 7 Beta.

Notably, my beta build was x86.

Each one of my (so far) 6 'BSoD's have had the following in common:

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be)

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

They occur consistently with video and games, so I thought it may be related to my video card (GeForce 8800GTX - 185.85 Win7 x64 drivers), but I haven't been able to find anyone else with a problem with these latest drivers. Does anyone know of a way to find where, specifically, my driver issue is, and how to amend it?

At the very least, is there anyone else with this particular issue?

sounds LIKE A DRIVER ISSUE.

go TO control panel > device manager AND SEE IF ANY ENTRY HAS A YELLOW FLAG NEXT TO IT.

iF THAT;S THE CASE POST BACK AND INCLUDE THE CATEGORY IT'S LISTED UNDER.

In order to troubleshoot your problem further we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2008.4.2.0
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The make and model of your motherboard would be of graet help.

For you GeForce card , tyhe Nvidia 64-bit frivers are located here:
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

In order to troubleshoot your problem further we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2008.4.2.0
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The make and model of your motherboard would be of graet help.

For you GeForce card , tyhe Nvidia 64-bit frivers are located here:
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

:razz: reghakr you are all over the place, banging out helpful info on every page i go to! thanks and i am glad their are people like you on this site. :razz: by the nice f'n muscle car!

You can try here, but it doesn't display the proper chipset Nvidia nForce4 SLI which is in the specs of the motherboard.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

See if you can locate some more information through the programs I suggested. they are simple stand-alone programs that do not require an installation.

Thanks Just trying to be helpful dangerously overclocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had already tried the ASUS site without much help, but the system information tools you gave me lead me to finding drivers for nforce4 SLI Intel Edition for Vista x64. That took care of one of the three yellow flags (woo!), but I still have no idea what to do with the others.

In any case, I will try out various stress tests and see if I can't BSoD again. In the meantime, thanks for your help.

I hate asking for help, but I'm glad you were able to provide it, and so quickly.

Don't worry about asking for help, I still have to do the same sometimes.

We're all here to help others with problems

I'm still having blue screen issues. I've tried to ignore them but they're seeming more intrusive now. Any other suggestions?

Try using the original CD that came with the computer a d locate the drivers folder.

You may find the SM Bus Controller and other Unknown Devices.

Thanks, but I had tried that without much luck. I found out through a lot of searching that the two unknown devices simply weren't supported by modern OSes, so I disabled them from the BIOS (they turned out to be some MIDI controller and some other unnecessary feature).

The SM Bus controller was taken care of the last time you helped me.

So, no more yellow flags in my device manager, but still seeing blue screens. Typically with either video or sound being stressed with games or video, though I've had it crash shortly after booting Windows as well.

I've done some searching and it appears there is a problem with people upgrading their previous version of Windows.

Did you perform a "clean" install or an upgrade?

A clean install. Dumped everything I needed on an external, then wiped the harddrive clean before installing the RC.

Should I try again? Perhaps x86 instead of x64? I didn't really need 64-bit just yet, I was just giving myself room for an impending upgrade.

It keeps giving me a "Privileged instruction" error, both when it starts and when I try to detect unknown devices. I've tried it run as administrator as well as with XP.SP2 compatability. But, the two unknown devices were a game controller port for old joysticks, and a midi controller port, presumably for connecting to external midi devices (I checked the two I had disabled in my BIOS, since I couldn't remember).

--

Oo, checked back in my Device Manager and told it to show hidden devices, and I have another one with a yellow exclamation point. "ASInsHelp".

Last edited:
Good idea, I forgot about hidden devices.:)

From my search it seems ASInsHelp is the Ai Booster that Asus provides. Just install the Ai Booster software to the default location and it should be fine. It's a poorly written install that only works when installed where Asus says to.

So I guess it's time to get out the CD again and see if you can locate it.

Or if that fails you can right-click on it and choose Uninstall

It took a lot of playing around with compatability to get it to install, but now that it has, the ASInsHelp seems to have disappeared. One way or another, that bit is fixed. Excellent!

Thanks for your help, again. Now I'm off to see if I can't find a Blue Screen again.

OK,

So after all this "driver" fixing, your still experiencing the BSOD?

Same as you first mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom