Windows 7 BSOD Crashes during Video Playback

Morgan314

Hello There,
This is my first post however I have been having no luck with solving my BSOD crashes myself.
I have been experiencing the issues for a number of months, however they seem to be becoming more regular. The crashes occur generally during video playback either from harddisk or from a network Samba server. Sometimes the crashes occur, sometimes not. They do not seem to be affected by codecs or resolutions as sometimes a 1080p movie will play flawlessly and a SD video may cause crashes. Crashes also seem to be triggered from YouTube videos, generally higher resolutions (1080p). I am unable to reliably recreate the crashes due to the random nature of them.
Below are the BSOD details that I have managed to document(newest to oldest):
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  • (No name given, Stop Code: 0x000000240, Ntfs.sys named)

Other Issues (probably unrelated?)
  • Unable to open removable drives with double click (....not found) (Was fixed temporarily with registry fix however returned)
  • Unable to copy and paste from Chrome into Word
  • General system slowness, especially in boot.

Full virus scans run and no issues.

I believe it may be an issue with the Graphics card or memory, however it is strange that it is never triggered by video gaming even at high resolutions.

System Specs:

• Dell XPS 8100 (Stock)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7600)
  • Default BIOS
  • Intel Core i5 750 ([email protected]) No Overclock
  • 6GB RAM DDR3 2x2gb 2x1gb
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Nvidia GeForce GTS 240
  • 1x Dell SX2210 1920x1080 Display on splitter with Samsung TV 1920x1080
  • 1x Dell 17" 1280x1024 Extended Display
  • USB Mouse & Keyboard

Security:

• AVG Internet Security Business Edition
  • Windows Firewall Currently Running

I will attach a zip file with all information requested to be included with BSOD reports.
Any help much appreciated! :)

Many thanks,
Morgan314

03/03/13 17:25 Edit
Some additional information I forgot to add, generally for the video playback I am using VLC Media Player as it plays the widest range of files, also when the system crashes a loud buzz is emitted from the speakers as if there is too much voltage on the speaker ports, just a lound buzz that changes with the volume.

Attachments

• Computer Faults.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 363
Last edited:
This seems to be a hard drive problem to me (just a guess at this point) - but try these free diagnostics on ALL hard drives attached to the system: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

BUT, if AVG has a firewall running and you have the Windows Firewall running this could cause similar problems when the firewalls compete with each other for sole possession of the traffic. Disable one of the firewalls and see if that helps.

Interestingly, there are no recent memory dumps in the uploaded files - the most recent being 08 Aug 2012. Please check in C:\Windows\Minidump to see if there are any files from 2013 there. If so, zip them up and upload them with your next post.

If not, then please check the things here to see if the settings for memory dumps are correct: http://www.carrona.org/setmini.hmtl

Then check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.dmp If you find it (and if it's dated from 2013) please zip it up and upload it to a free file-hosting service. Then post a link to it here so we can have a look at it.

SP1 isn't installed, please do the following:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates (may take repeated visits)
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates. May take repeated visits, but keep it up until you get several "Windows is updated" results.
If you're having difficulties with installing a Service Pack, please use the SURTool from this link: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Also, check out this troubleshooting link from Microsoft: Troubleshoot problems installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I have had limited success in installing updates/Service Packs when using a "clean boot". I suspect that I'm just bypassing the problem - and that it can come back to bite me in the butt later on.

Your BIOS dates from 2009. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard.

These devices are disabled. Is this deliberate? If so, why?:
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.

facap, FastAccess Video Capture ROOT\IMAGE\0000 This device is disabled.
Please re-enable them and update them. Feel free to disable them again after they've been updated.

The WER section of MSINFO32 shows a few BSOD's that have occurred recently - but they don't point to any particular problem. There are BSOD like issues (STOP 0x117) with your video drivers - so I'd suggest updating those.

I've seen problems in the past with UltraMon - you may want to un-install it in order to test if it's causing problems

If the hard drive diagnostics don't reveal anything, then please do the rest of the free diagnostics here: Hardware Diagnostics

Post back if the BSOD's continue and we'll try other tests.

Back