BSOD Finally trying to do something about it

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by travelingjunk84, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

8GB is fine although if you can afford 16GB then personally i'd get the larger size.

2. travelingjunk84

travelingjunk84 Active Member

Had a feeling you were going to say that. Haha. Thanks again. Played over watch with 2gb memory and was fine. Think It was just #1 stick that's bad. Have yet to install my storage drive. I'll give this a few more days and then out all the good sticks in. Thanks agian

Sent from my iPhone using Windows Forums mobile app

3. RichM

RichM Active Member

This is quite common where a single stick of ram will run but more will not. Sounds like you have 3 mismatched sticks of ram and if you want things to go right, while ram is so inexpensive, time to buy 3 or better yet 4 matched. If you go to www.crucial.com
    and use their configurator they will match the ram for your board and guaranty the match or money back. You could take their model number and perhaps find it less expensively but then no guaranty. Curical is Micron memory among the best made and that site makes it easy. With today's hardware being more and more complex, the need to match density, cas latency and ECC factor are way more important than speed, and most places that sell ram never publish the those three things. Buying four allows you the advantage to run dual channel ram which in and by itself requires all 2 or 4 sticks to be the same model number and will increase performance as your reward.

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hehe, well it was only a suggestion.

Yup it does look like only the one stick was bad and it's a shame your not still within the warranty period (unless you still are in which case i'd get them replaced).
    As I already mentioned (post #99) it's far better to buy 2 or 4 sticks as opposed to a single stick as they will have been matched in the factory and optimised for dual channel mode.

As usual, any issues then please post back.