Windows 7 BSOD Issue on Windows 7

davidsmith471995

Hi,

I have been experiencing a BSOD and not being able to fix it for about two days. My computer had trouble loading files on my SSD drive D:, but other than that I haven't experienced any issues before that. I have done what is written in the "How to ask for help with a BSOD problem" thread, so I would really appreciate if you could help me out with solving this.

Computer will run in Safe Mode, but regular boot will result in a BSOD everytime even before I login.
CPU-Z wouldn't show anything in SPD and graphics.
ROMMon wouldn't start at all, it would give me an error (I added a screenshot of it in the .zip file).

Thank you very much in advance,

David Smith

(Some basic information about my computer:

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.51 GHz
RAM: 16,0 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760)

Attachments

• W7F_09-06-2016.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 493
2ZNsiPd.jpg

Here is the BSOD screen as well. Forgot to include it :)

Hi David,
we need the actual dump file if you could post it please. Have you considered trying system restore?

Anyhoo post the dump and we'll debug asap. I'll be back in around 2hrs so hopefully you will have posted it up by then.

I tried solving it by disabling Automatic Restard, setting it to Small Memory Dump (256 kB)..
It should appear at %SystemRoot%\Minidump, but it's nowhere to be found.

Hi David,
please ensure your settings are like this:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You will of course need to blue screen again but a dump file is created.

Dump files will not be produced if you have disabled the pagefile so please ensure that it's at least the recommended amount.

It has never happened before. It all started out of nowhere. I didn't install any new hardware or software.
Now it happens whenever I try to boot my computer regularly.

I double checked if the SSD is updated and it is.

Will I be able to chkdsk if I can't boot the PC normally?

The pagefile size is 15837 MB and I changed the setting so that Windows would allocate the size itself.

Thank you very much for your reply, kemical:)

Okay, I did the chkdsk on C: (where Windows is located) and my computer works :)
Should I be worried about any underlying issues or is it safe to continue using it as is?

Should I be worried about any underlying issues or is it safe to continue using it as is?
Really? Hey that's great! If chkdsk was the answer then it might have corrected some corruption but now you have access again please run this scan:
run an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow press enter and await results.

Do you run the magician software and use the trim clean up feature?

Also do you use AHCI mode? If not let us know and we'll change it over. SSD's run better under AHCI

Hey kemical,

sorry I've been away for the weekend. I just ran the scan and it found nothing.

AHCI mode is ON, but I haven't ran the trim clean up feature yet.

My computer works, but the "Computer" folder won't open and thumbnails in other folders don't appear. Everything is fairly slow.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Dave

Hi David,
thanks for the update.
AHCI mode is ON, but I haven't ran the trim clean up feature yet

If I remember correctly your using a 840 EVO SSD 250GB like me. It's important that you run the scan arrowed below (Samsungs advanced version of Trim) once a month. Samsung discovered that the data held in memory cells used for our SSD's would, after periods of around 30 days, slow down to a crawl.
A solution was discovered which involved two parts. A new firmware update coupled with a new more advanced Trim scan which also refreshes the data held on the drive.
I run this around once a month and on a weekly basis i just use Microsoft defragger which recognises you have an SSD and makes the changes accordingly so it will 'optimise' (Trim) your SSD instead of defragging it which would be bad.
evo.jpg

I forgot to mention when you run the above scanner don't do anything else while it's running. It may take some time to complete (approx 1-2hrs ) so make sure you do it at a time that's convenient.

Back
Top Bottom