Windows 7 BSOD on new build

Mbradburn

Been banging my head on this for a few days until I found this forum. I sure could use some help with an intermittent BSOD that I am getting. This is a new computer build with very little installed so far. McAfee, Office, HP OJ6600 printer, NCP Secure Client and Win7 SDK. The BSOD has been happening since the install of the Win7 SP1 Ultimate. It usually is not on the screen long enough to read the top line description, so I don't have that yet. There is nothing that I can pinpoint that I am doing when it happens. it just happens.

The build is a Gigabyte B85M-D3H with 2 8GB Corsair DDR3 DIMMS and a Haswell i5-4590, Corsair CX600M PSU. Pioneer Blu-ray. Very basic. I have reseated all hardware, but still get the BSOD, though it seems to go longer between now.

I have attached the zip file as requested in your sticky thread. The MEMORY.DMP file is too large to attach even zipped. Can always dropbox that if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else and I'll dig it up.

Attachments

• W7F_17-07-2014.zip
    984.7 KB · Views: 331
Quick update: Upgraded the RealTek Lan, INtel Rapid Storage and Intel USB drivers with the latest from Gigabyte's site and also updated BIOS to F13 6/19/2014. .Net to 4.5.2 as well...

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {fffff8a016273000, 2, 1, fffff880016b66f3}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mfehidk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mfehidk.sys
Probably caused by : mfehidk.sys ( mfehidk+5f339 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have a number of different dump files mostly blaming the system kernel as well as one blaming memory management and the above which is blaming Mafee AV. I had another user the other day with similar dumps and it turned out to be the Mafee AV. Try removing and using MSE instead as it's very stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

AppleCharger.sys Mon Oct 28 01:59:21 2013: Gigabyte on/off driver known for causing BSOD of Win7/8 system uninstall to test.

With the appearance of the memory management dump file you may have some memory issues and having a bad ram stick is not so uncommon even when bought brand new.
If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Just BSOD again. If memory serves me correct that last two times it has BSOD it is shortly after coming back from sleep (not right away, but enough time to load a web page or such), but not every time it comes back from sleep. If it helps I'll rerun the debug tool and send the files again. In the mean time, working on the above...

I have uploaded the new files. In there you will see a picture of the error message from the memtest. I think we are getting closer....

Attachments

• W7F_17-07-2014 (2).zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 420
Hi,
looks like you need to replace the RAM module or modules. You could test each stick individually if you so wish but if it's a set I'd just replace the set. If they relatively new then you should get them replaced via warranty?

Yes, the DIMMs are covered under warranty. Received email confirmation they are shipping out today with Corsair's express exchange. Also had a bad port on the Corsair PSU they had to take care of. They are batting 1.000 in my book so far :furious:

Oh well at least you have something on the way.. Hope all goes well when the new stuff arrives and please post back if any issues arise.
Please let us know either way if the new hardware is a success or not.. Thanks. :)

Update: New memory has been in the system for 2 weeks and there have been no BSOD errors to report. Things are looking good. Thanks for the help!

That's great to hear! Thank you for updating your thread.

Back