Windows 10 BSOD only when playing games: Driver_Overran_Stack_buffer, Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, Critical_Process_Died

Parxival

Hi I have been having issues with my PC crashing to a BSOD only while playing games both cpu and gpu intensive, mostly Divinity: Original sin 2, EU4, and subnautica, . I have reinstalled a clean windows from a bootable USB, updated all drivers, and stress tested my cpu, gpu, and Ram, using Memtest86, cinebench, and furmark with no issues. I have also installed the latest AMD chipset from AMD. Any help would be much appreciated.

My computer
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi rev 1.x
Ram: G.skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz 8gbx2
GPU: RTX 2060

BSODs
Driver_Overran_Stack_buffer
Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
Critical_Process_Died-

Attachments

• W7F_11-05-2020.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
Hi,

I took a look at the dump file which blamed Rainbow 6 as the primary cause and noticed this:

BiosVersion = P1.60
BiosReleaseDate = 06/17/2016

Checking your support page it seems you are missing some updates:
X570 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.K.

If you haven't flashed a bios before or concerned about the procedure post back.

Hi,
I flashed my bios to version 12e and tried playing a couple games but both games blue-screened shorlty after loading giving me the error codes irql_not_less_or_equal and kernel_security_check_buffer. Also i have never played rainbow 6 seige in my life let alone downloaded it so that's a bit weird. I am attaching a new W7F file also to see if the new dumps say anything different.

Thank you for your help so far

Attachments

• W7F_12-05-2020.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
Apologies for my last post as i'd got yours and another users dump files mixed up so hence the rainbow 6 error. I'm checking your dumps right now and will post back shortly.

Hi,

one dump file named your gpu driver as a culprit and as you crash with every game try this:

Download a fresh copy of the latest Nvidia driver: Drivers | GeForce

Download an app called Display driver uninstaller or DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.2.4 released. - Wagnardsoft Forum This removes any corruption regarding gpu drivers.

Boot into safe mode and run the DDU (run as administrator).

Once your back in Windows, install the fresh gpu driver.

If this fails to work can you post your dxdiag.

See if the gpu will run a furmark stress test: FurMark > Home

HI, i ran ddu in safe mode then updated the driver without internet and rebooted my pc. So far my pc no longer crashes to bsod but all my games crash to desktop in <5 minutes. event viewer points to ntdll.dll as the reason for the crash. attached is my dxdiag. Also the gpu ran the furmark test for half an hour stable capped at 80C.

Attachments

• W7F_13-05-2020.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Thanks for the info..

Hmm... Are you overclocking the graphics card?

Install DirectX again, (you probably have it already but maybe corrupted)

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Open an admin command prompt.

Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

I am not overclocking my gpu and both scans came back with no errors. i have reinstalled directx. so far for the last day or so i have not been gettying any bsods but my computer will now freeze and no matter what i try my pc will remain frozen unless i do a hard reset.

When does the system freeze, meaning what are you actually doing at the time?

Gaming?

General pc use, browsing ect?

Back