Windows 7 BSOD starting Autodesk 3ds Max 2013, error 0x00000050

Jeffrey K

[-SOLVED-] BSOD starting Autodesk 3ds Max 2013, error 0x00000050

Every time I start up Autodesk 3ds Max 2013, I get a BSOD shortly after it begins initializing with the error of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Everything else runs fine, and Autodesk products are the only things that cause any form of error. What do I do to make this no longer happen?

Attached is the latest minidump file.

Edit: My problem is now solved. :D

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    23 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Hi,

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : amd_xata.sys ( amd_xata+187e )

This is a storage driver from AMD. After looking through your dmp file and checking with your manufacturers web page newer driver versions are available. Please update where necessary:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If this doesn't stop the bsod then you'll need to check your RAM. Download and run this app: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Pull all the sticks out apart from one and test individually. This is so you know which module is defective if this proves to be the case.

Thank you very much for the swift response.

I downloaded and installed all the updates provided on the website, because if one was outdated, they most likely all were; still got the BSOD after attempting to run Autodesk 3ds Max 2013.

Next, I downloaded memtest86+ from the provided link and burned the .iso to a DVD with ImgBurn and restarted my computer. Memtest went through a single pass while both RAM sticks were in, but no errors were found. Then, I took out one of the sticks and let memtest go through a single pass on the other; still no errors found. I also stuck the lone RAM stick in the other slot, just in case a slot was the culprit, and let memtest do a single pass; no errors. I repeated this with the other RAM stick (a single pass of memtest on either slot), but neither pass resulted in any errors.

So, I ran Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 after replacing the RAM sticks, and I attached the minidump from that crash. If there's anything else I can provide that would be of assistance, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    23 KB · Views: 242
Apologies as I should have told you that you need to run the RAM test for 7/8 passes but try this instead. Take out one stick of RAM and then try loading up the app then try with the other stick. If it bsods with one and not the other you know which is bad.

Once again, thank you for taking time out of your certainly busy schedule to respond.

I did as you said -- I took out one stick of RAM and tried to run Autodesk 3ds Max 2013, then tried the other stick in the same slot, then even tried either stick in the other slot -- but no matter what, I still receive the same BSOD shortly after it begins initializing.

Just throwing this out there, as I haven't a clue: could it have anything to do with my integrated graphics card? I believe it leeches memory from my RAM, because I have two 4 GB RAM sticks with only 7.49 GB of usable RAM. It's just a thought.

Hi,

normally onboard graphics will use or 'borrow' some of the RAM in your system and this amount can usually be changed in the bios so I wouldn't worry about the too much. It might be worth running the driver verifier to see if that throws up anything. See the web page here for instructions: Driver Verifier - Windows 7 & Vista (BSOD-related) - Tech Support Forum. Try running chkdsk too, just to make sure everything is ok with your HDD.

Last edited:
Back