Windows 7 BSOD - w7f and error codes attached

timmytehpro

BSOD error message

0x0000007f (ox0000000000000008, 0x0000000080031, ox00000000000006f8, oxfffff800028dabd0)

Just curious what the stuff in the parenthesis means? i believe ox7f is hardware/driver issue, but i'm not a doctor. i don't know.

This has been happening it seems almost randomly. I have been working my computer pretty hard but i expect the best. I was pondering replacing some parts because I realize machines get old. shouldn't be, but the first thing i'm addressing is heat. new computer case in the mail for more fan room, and the first building block when i build a new system

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TIMMY-PC
System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
System Model TA790GX 128M
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 1/13/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Timmy-PC\Timmy
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.51 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.3 GB
Page File Space 6.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Just in case you need that.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• W7F_13-04-2013.rar
    287.1 KB · Views: 253
Info on the STOP 0x7F error: BSOD Index
Please note the "Usual Causes" section up near the top of that section
Also, you'll have to scroll down to see what the stuff in the parentheses means:
Code:
     [U]WinDbg Help File Entry:[/U] The UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP bug check has a value of 0x0000007F. This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap. 
  This trap could be a [I]bound trap [/I](a trap the kernel is not permitted to catch) or a [I]double fault [/I](a fault that occurred while processing an earlier fault, which always results in a system failure).[INDENT][B]Parameters[/B][/INDENT]
  The first parameter that appears on the blue screen specifies the trap number.
  The most common trap codes include the following: 

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[*]0x00000000, or Divide by Zero Error, indicates that a DIV instruction is executed and the divisor is zero. Memory corruption, other hardware problems, or software failures can cause this error. 
[*]0x00000004, or Overflow, occurs when the processor executes a call to an interrupt handler when the overflow (OF) flag is set. 
[*]0x00000005, or Bounds Check Fault, indicates that the processor, while executing a BOUND instruction, finds that the operand exceeds the specified limits. A BOUND instruction ensures that a signed array index is within a certain range. 
[*]0x00000006, or Invalid Opcode, indicates that the processor tries to execute an invalid instruction. This error typically occurs when the instruction pointer has become corrupted and is pointing to the wrong location. The most common cause of this error is hardware memory corruption. 
[*]0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:
[LIST]
[*]A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r29_exts_kernel_q_127b52f2-51ff-49c3-9392-7059a2f5a723.xml.htm"][B]!thread[/B][/URL] to determine the stack limits, and then use [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r17_cmds_i_58e69e42-fcda-4972-9358-60ab7a6e1def.xml.htm"][B]kb (Display Stack Backtrace)[/B][/URL] with a large parameter (for example, [B]kb 100[/B]) to display the full stack. 
[*]A hardware problem. 
[/LIST]

[/LIST]
  The less-common trap codes include the following:

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[*]0x00000001 — A system-debugger call 
[*]0x00000003 — A debugger breakpoint 
[*]0x00000007 — A hardware coprocessor instruction with no coprocessor present 
[*]0x0000000A — A corrupted Task State Segment 
[*]0x0000000B — An access to a memory segment that was not present 
[*]0x0000000C — An access to memory beyond the limits of a stack 
[*]0x0000000D — An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications 
[/LIST]
  For other trap numbers, see an Intel architecture manual.[INDENT][B]Cause[/B][/INDENT]
  Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.
  A double fault can occur when the kernel stack overflows. This overflow occurs if multiple drivers are attached to the same stack. For example, if two file system filter drivers are attached to the same stack and then the file system recurses back in, the stack overflows.[INDENT][B]Resolving the Problem[/B][/INDENT]
  [I]Debugging:[/I] Always begin with the [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r24_exts_general_a_6e1c68d6-f825-4a02-a9ba-2b0cd08cded8.xml.htm"][B]!analyze[/B][/URL] extension.
  If this extension is not sufficient, use the [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r17_cmds_i_58e69e42-fcda-4972-9358-60ab7a6e1def.xml.htm"][B]kv (Display Stack Backtrace)[/B][/URL] debugger command.

[LIST=|INDENT=1]
[*]If [B]kv[/B] shows a [B]taskGate[/B], use the [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r22_metacmds_s_c977258e-a78a-47c5-937e-ff6626c41e04.xml.htm"][B].tss (Display Task State Segment)[/B][/URL] command on the part before the colon. 
[*]If [B]kv[/B] shows a trap frame, use the [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r22_metacmds_s_1c1078f3-5311-4695-be7d-0e10e76750d7.xml.htm"][B].trap (Display Trap Frame)[/B][/URL] command to format the frame. 
[*]Otherwise, use the [URL="http://www.carrona.org/r22_metacmds_s_1c1078f3-5311-4695-be7d-0e10e76750d7.xml.htm"][B].trap (Display Trap Frame)[/B][/URL] command on the appropriate frame. (On x86-based platforms, this frame is associated with the procedure [B]NT!KiTrap[/B].) 
[/LIST]
  After using one of these commands, use [B]kv[/B] again to display the new stack.
  [I]Troubleshooting: [/I]If you recently added hardware to the computer, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics that the system manufacturer supplies to determine which hardware component failed. 
  The memory scanner is especially important. Faulty or mismatched memory can cause this bug check. For more informaiton about these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer. Check that all adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean. 
  If the error appears on a newly installed system, check the availability of updates for the BIOS, the SCSI controller, or network cards. These kind of updates are typically available on the Web site or BBS of the hardware manufacturer.
  Confirm that all hard disk drives, hard disk controllers, and SCSI adapters are listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
  If the error occurred after the installation of a new or updated device driver, you should remove or replace the driver. If, under this circumstance, the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you have to start the computer by using the Recovery Console in order to access the file. 
  Also restart your computer, and then press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices. At the [B]Advanced Options[/B] menu, select the [B]Last Known Good Configuration[/B] option. This option is most effective when you add only one driver or service at a time.
  Overclocking (setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification) can cause this error. If you have overclocked the computer that is experiencing the error, return the CPU to the default clock speed setting.
  Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing the error. You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS to try to resolve the problem. 
  If you encountered this error while upgrading to a new version of the Windows operating system, the error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version. If possible, remove all third-party device drivers and system services and disable any virus scanners before you upgrade. Contact the software manufacturer to obtain updates of these tools. Also make sure that you have installed the latest Windows Service Pack.
  Finally, if all the above steps do not resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error.
      [U]WinDbg Output Example:[/U]
 UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault).  The first number in the
bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
If kv shows a taskGate
        use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
Else if kv shows a trapframe
        use .trap on that value
Else
        .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
        (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
Endif
kb will then show the corrected stack.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
Arg2: 0000000080050031
Arg3: 00000000000006f8
Arg4: fffff80002af243d

There are no memory dumps included in the uploaded files, please zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and upload it with your next post. Please check this page to ensure the system is set to save minidumps: Set MiniDump Finally, don't use disk cleaning programs (such as CCleaner) while we're troubleshooting (they delete the files that we need).

Only 118 Windows Updates installed. Most systems have 150 or more. Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

As there's no evidence of BSOD's in the WER section of MSINFO32, I'd have to suspect that this might be a hardware problem. Please start with these free hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom