Windows 10 BSOD was caused by Windows Update - Why?

terri232

No matter which browser I use, I get a constant BSOD and recently also got the message Windows Is Not Responding - I am a newbie to this type of problem and need some advice - I didn't get very far! Norton says the tool is a high risk.

OK - I suddenly realized I should have entered this into my BSOD prior message. This past Sunday (9/25), my screen was totally different when I awakened. I was asked for my pc password and then a windows password - this was the strangest thing that has ever happened. I believe that Windows did an update (attached) and the result of the update caused the constant BSOD to occur.

Attachments

• updatehistory.jpg
    updatehistory.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 312
I believe that Windows did an update (attached) and the result of the update caused the constant BSOD to occur.
This is entirely possible although usually there's a driver or an app or even corruption somewhere lurking causing issues.

Terri are you able to access the system right now or is it still constantly blue screening? We need to read your dump files so we need to find a way to stop the constant

If it's still blue screening you need to find a way to create a recovery disk/USB, perhaps ask a friend or sister/brother?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

Using the recovery disk/USB you can use it to boot into recovery and then perhaps safe mode.
In fact there a number of things you could try like system restore or a reset.
How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10

How to Use System Restore in Windows 7, 8, and 10

If you can access the system read this thread and use the app contained within to gather the information we need:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Post back if you have problems.

Thank you - I can see the screen - the the blue lasts from a few seconds to a minute or so but the problem is that Norton will not allow me to d/l the tool - read my next post right under this one...

You should either be able to temporarily disable your AV or tell it to ignore the diagnostic tool, or you can navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and manually zip and upload the dump files.

I get a constant BSOD and recently also got the message Windows Is Not Responding - I am a newbie to this type of problem and need some advice - I didn't get very far! Norton says the tool is a high risk.
Hi Terri,
please follow the advice in post #5. Use the tool provided and remove Norton. Just use the on board Defender for now as often Norton can be part of the issue. We always ask users to remove any third party security apps as they are often part of the issue.

I've also merged your threads to save on confusion please try not to double post.

You can also find the dump files yourself by looking in the main Windows folder on the C drive for a folder marked Minidump (you could even do a search for it). The dump files should be inside and at first if you try to move them it'll say needs admin something or other, simply try again and it should let you through. Zip the dump files up and post in forum.

Back
Top Bottom