Windows 11 BSOD when clean install

psinferno

hi there

it seems like a similar problem to the last one posted, but for not confusing the problem I opened a new thread.
I disabled secure boot, there are no devices attached beside mouse, keyboard and the usb-stick (no ethernetcable as well).

Here's my problem:
i had a running desktop gaming pc running with Win11.
It run well, but because a game started to crash a lot i decided to make a clean install of win11.

First of all i decided to upgrade the ME firmware and the BIOS firmware (Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming). I did so according to the Asus website and there were no errors, the new versions also are now displayed in the BIOS.
But after upgrading the BIOS the PC didn’t start and just resulted in blue screens (Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area, Kmode Exception not handled, System Thread Exception not handled, NTFS_File_System, …and many other different errors).
So I decided to do a clean install with USB-stick using the media creation tool.
Also there where some errors in the setup process, but when pressing OK they sometime disappeared and it continued. But as soon as it starts to copy files (step 2 in the installation process) the BSOD come back with the exact same error as when trying to boot from the SSD.

In all this process i never opened the PC or did something on the hardware side. Meanwhile I also pressed the clear cmos button on the mainboard, that had no impact as far as i can tell.
Then i decided to downgrade the BIOS to an older version, that also worked but suddenly the Win11 setup says that my PC ist not compatible with Win11, but this is a high-end PC who already run with Win11.
So I decided to erase the SSD within the BIOS and made an USB-stick with the media tool with Win10, just to be sure. But still the same Kmode and other exceptions are happening.

I’m stuck and I just want a clean install that my kid can play again. Right now, I can’t even boot or anything, the SSD is probably empty and no installation works and I also have no running OS to do something there.
As of now, i flashed the earliest version of the BIOS and reset the CMOS. Nothing helped. Now sometimes the BSOD even comes before the installation setup for Win10 starts...it's frustrating.

I would really love if someone can give me a hint what I can do. I have no clue what to do next.
thank you so very much

(since this is pretty urgent because my son plays competitive games and there are tournaments in the next days, i will google to see if there are other places where i could possibly find help. so you may find my problem on other sites)

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your clean installation of Windows 11. It's definitely frustrating when you encounter multiple BSOD errors during the installation process. I'll try to provide some troubleshooting steps that you can follow to hopefully resolve the problem.

1. Check for hardware issues: Since you mentioned that you recently upgraded the ME firmware and BIOS, it's possible that there could be a hardware compatibility issue. You can start by checking if all your hardware components, such as RAM, CPU, and GPU, are seated properly in their respective slots. Also, ensure that all the power connections are secure.

2. Test the memory: Memory-related errors like the ones you're experiencing can sometimes be caused by faulty RAM modules. Try running a memory diagnostic test to check for any issues. You can use the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool by following these steps:
a. Press Windows key + R, type "mdsched.exe" (without quotes), and press Enter.
b. Choose whether to restart the computer and run the test immediately or schedule it for the next restart.
c. Let the tool complete the test and check if any errors are detected.

3. Disconnect unnecessary peripherals: Sometimes, certain peripherals can conflict with the installation process. To rule out any external devices causing the issue, disconnect all non-essential peripherals, including USB drives, printers, and external hard drives, and try the installation again.

4. Verify the installation media: It's possible that the USB stick you're using for the installation might be causing issues. Try creating a new installation media using the official Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Make sure to use a different USB stick if possible, or format and re-create the existing one.

5. Update drivers and firmware: Although you mentioned upgrading the ME firmware and BIOS, it's worth checking if there are any other outdated drivers that could be causing conflicts. After performing the Windows 11 clean installation, make sure to update all your drivers to the latest versions available from the manufacturer's website.

6. Reset BIOS settings: If you've made any customized changes to the BIOS settings, consider resetting them to their default values. This can be done by entering the BIOS setup and selecting the option to restore defaults or load optimized defaults.

7. Seek professional help: If you've exhausted all the above steps and are still unable to install Windows 11 without encountering BSOD errors, it might be time to consult a professional technician or contact the support channels of the motherboard manufacturer for further assistance. They might be able to provide specific guidance based on your hardware configuration.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue and get your system up and running smoothly again. Good luck, and I hope your son can participate in his tournaments without any further interruptions!

I had the same problem, it is because there is malware on your computer that reboots from flash memory of the Bios. Asus has a Flash Memory tool to flash your bios. Also make sure your bootable usb in in the right format.

"If you want/need to use UEFI, you must use fat32. Otherwise your USB drive won't be bootable. On the other hand, if you need to use custom windows install images, fat32 will limit you to 4gb for the image size. So in this case you need to use NTFS or exfat."

I believe the windows install is 4.7gb.
Your hardware is fine, it just the immense failure of Microsoft, everybody got this malware but Microsoft ant telling anybody. Just check your 45 security definition updates from the last 4 weeks.
Don't believe me just check this:

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Tools

Then open: Event Viewer and look for Kernel Coding errors that is good start to see you have no control anymore over your pc. And there is nothing you can do.

if you are lucky the manipulated drivers get back in place (as your bios drivers) and the PC re-installs again. Deploying the complete malware again, complete manual format doesn't even work it sticks in the hardware coding: PCI-E, CPU, DDR etc. it just needs a couple of MB re-start the scripts and of course all recovery images are corrupted.
So what you did a manual format is exactly what this malware don't want because the entire hardware system and so the directories are all manipulated. Good luck, just keep booting and trying at some point it works. Trying a WIndows 10 maybe helps to it has even worse security.

Then i decided to downgrade the BIOS to an older version, that also worked but suddenly the Win11 setup says that my PC ist not compatible with Win11, but this is a high-end PC who already run with Win11.
I believe this probably occurred because later Asus Bios versions enabled the Trusted Platform Module (a necessary requirement for Win 11) by default. You installing an older bios probably means you'll have to enable the TPM module yourself (via the bios).

The best way imo to flash an ASUS bios is to use the 'Bios Flashback button' located at the back of your machine. Your motherboard manual will help in it's operation but basically turn the machine off, insert USB drive with bios on it and hold down the Bios flashback button for 3 seconds.
An LED will begin to flash and after approx 5-8mins it will stop which means the flash has been completed.
You can now remove the drive and boot up.

Did you get any further installing the os?

no, unfortunately not.
I took out the GPU and tested with onboard graphics only, but still bluescreen. then i removed the RAM one by one but still the same result, only bluescreen.
Then i took it to my PC dealer and he installed a new SSD, but still bluescreen after booting up.
So it's either the mainboard or the CPU, but i don't think it's the CPU. So he will change the mainboard (still under warranty) and then we'll see. I hope he could do it today, but i haven't reached him. Now the store is closed. So I will try to call tomorrow.

I had the same problem, it is because there is malware on your computer that reboots from flash memory of the Bios. Asus has a Flash Memory tool to flash your bios. Also make sure your bootable usb in in the right format.

"If you want/need to use UEFI, you must use fat32. Otherwise your USB drive won't be bootable. On the other hand, if you need to use custom windows install images, fat32 will limit you to 4gb for the image size. So in this case you need to use NTFS or exfat."

I believe the windows install is 4.7gb.
Your hardware is fine, it just the immense failure of Microsoft, everybody got this malware but Microsoft ant telling anybody. Just check your 45 security definition updates from the last 4 weeks.
Don't believe me just check this:

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Tools

Then open: Event Viewer and look for Kernel Coding errors that is good start to see you have no control anymore over your pc. And there is nothing you can do.

if you are lucky the manipulated drivers get back in place (as your bios drivers) and the PC re-installs again. Deploying the complete malware again, complete manual format doesn't even work it sticks in the hardware coding: PCI-E, CPU, DDR etc. it just needs a couple of MB re-start the scripts and of course all recovery images are corrupted.
So what you did a manual format is exactly what this malware don't want because the entire hardware system and so the directories are all manipulated. Good luck, just keep booting and trying at some point it works. Trying a WIndows 10 maybe helps to it has even worse security.
Thanks for you input. But I can't check these things because there is no windows left. Right now there is a new SSD in the computer and it still doesn't work (we got it also cleaned with diskpart)
I also tried with several different USB sticks with a clean windows image. Both Win10 and Win11, still bluescreens. But it's with the pc dealer right now, so i have to wait

update:
i got the pc back two days ago. They didn't find ou what exactly caused the problem, so they changed the mainboard, cpu and ssd (for free) and now it runs great again.
so probably nothing i could have done at home i guess. good thing that there was warranty and they finished it within one week. even if that sounds long, i'm satisfied how it ended

I am also facing bsods after doing clean installs, reinstalling games and whatnot. I tried probably everything to fix it. I am thinking of taking the PC to my PC dealer, but I don't have any warranty left. so, in such circumstances what should I do?

Have you tried the solution posted on your other thread? After each Windows update, reinstall Vanguard for Valorant. Apparently it's the anti cheat engine causing all the issues.

Back
Top Bottom