Windows 7 BSOD Win7 Ultimate...Please help dmp attached

kander7

So I thought I thought that Zonealarm was causing my issues but they have returned. I have uninstalled everything one by one and reinstalled and conducted every test I know. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am a bit of a noob and am out of ideas.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 030410-19172-01 (2).zip
    21.6 KB · Views: 226
The BSOD blamed the NT Kernel - an OS component and almost never the true cause. Please run Driver Verifier to see if we can pick up the real cause.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
It is usually driver and\or software related. Are you sure you correctly removed Zone Alarm?

I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Hardware failure or incompatibility.
Stop 0x7F usually occurs after the installation of faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed hardware fails. If hardware was recently added to the system, remove it to see if the error recurs.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939020.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode
Run some memory diagnostic tools :
Link Removed - Invalid URL
http://www.dewassoc.com/performance/memory/diag_memory_2.htm
http://www.memtest86.com/
Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you discover an error with any of these RAM testers and the RAM tester does not identify which RAM module is defective, then re-run the test with only a single RAM module installed until you identify which module is defective. (I am not familiar with the exact information output of any of these RAM testers when they find errors.)

Last edited:
Zvit has given you some comprehensive guides for evaluating the 7f bugcheck which includes the stack overflow condition exhibited by both Zone Alarm and Norton Internet Security.

Both of these security products compete with netio.sys for stack space resulting in a stack overflow.

Reference this thread from the Norton forum for more details: Link Removed due to 404 Error.

The crash dump shows no component of Zone Alarm. It's drivers are not even installed so it can not be the problem here. (You can do "lm t n" command to look at drivers. Vsdatant.sys is a core component of all ZA versions. If absent, ZA is not installed or in operation.)

I think Norton is causing the issue. You can remove it with the special tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

As always, I recommend for MSE as antivirus because it is very efficient and does not cause bsod.

------

The video card driver can use an update:

Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Nov 24 22:44:50 2009
Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

-------

The Realtek network driver can also use an update:

Code:
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009
You can search Realtek's site or your motherboard manufacturer's site for a new driver. If you don't know your exact lan type, open device manager then extend the network section. It will tell you the number/type.

------

I would definitely uninstall System Mechanic based on this driver date:

Code:
elrawdsk elrawdsk.sys Sat Jul 26 13:59:09 2008

If you have a subscription to Norton, you may want to try disabling netbios over tcp as suggested on the Norton forum before uninstalling (which is why I didn't readily tell you to uninstall it.) Most people do not like to lose money if at all possible. This has worked for some people.

I have updated everything and replaced Norton with MSE. I ran all the hardware tests I could prior to posting here and nothing was found. So far, after an hour, I have not had any more BSOD's so it appears to be working so far. Thanks for all the help.

So far so good. Glad to hear it. You're welcome and thanks for telling us. If there are any further problems, we're here. :)

Back
Top Bottom