Windows 7 BSOD with R9 series

Azrael

Attachments

• 081014-15537-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007b5c8f8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the above Bugcheck 124 means a hardware error occurred specifically a machine check exception:
Normal causes for MCE errors include overheating and/or incorrect hardware installation. Specific manually-induced causes include:

• overclocking (which normally increases heat-output)
  • poorly-fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with excessive dust in the CPU fan)
  • an overloaded internal or external power-supply (fixable by upgrading)
Software can also cause these errors as can a out of date bios. Unfortunately the unloaded drivers are not appearing in the dump file which makes it harder for us to check things over. Please check your system settings are set like this:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Once you have some new dump files run the app found in this thread as this gives us everything we need:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

My BIOS is up to date , i'm on a clean install of Windows so there isn't a lot of software which can make me crash..
My fans are cleans , and my crash aren't linked to heat ( CPUID HW Monitor is always run , so i always see my temps..) .

OCCT PSU stress test pass successfull , so no PSU problem i think.

My settings are like this :)

I've just run a Video Memory Stress Test , seems a lot of errors .. i'm gonna check it further.

Ok understood... I'll await your next post. It is possible that the card itself could be faulty but see what you find.

It's possible that the card is faulty but in this case , why battlefield 4 in ultra quality works like a charm ? it's pretty illogical no ?

Btw sorry for my quite approximative english.

EDIT : Upload a complete report. I'm doing memory test on my old graphic card ( HD6870 ) , if i've no error i'll conclude that the R9 is faulty..

Attachments

• W7F_10-08-2014.zip
    540.9 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Code:
Mini Kernel Dump does not contain unloaded driver list

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007ee0038, 0, 0}

Hi,
all the dumps were the same as the above although i'm still not seeing your unloaded driver list which is puzzling. Sorry to ask once again but are you sure 'small memory dump' is enabled and not kernel memory dump? I ask partly because I want to track down why this happens so please let me know.

As to your R9 issue, can you test the card in a friends machine? Also looking through your drivers I noticed your Broadcom network drivers could do with updating and I also noticed what i thought was AMD Overdrive 4.3? If so please note that we generally advise users to remove this app until after the source of the bsod is found.

It may also be a case of low power from the PSU. If you check on the Sapphire site for system requirements on the R9 290X they claim a 750W PSU is required.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2070&psn=000101&lid=1#
If your PSU is quite old then this may also be a possible cause..

All my friends are in holidays far away :/
I've order a new PSU to be sure...but my 600W PSU isn't old , i've order it in the same time of the R9 (about 1 week)
Amazon send me a new R9 too , i'll receive it tuesday..

Wow that was quick! Good luck with the new card and please let us know how you get on.

Amazon rocks for it.. And i've 28 days lefts to send them the old R9 (i must be quite attentive to don't send them the new ! ^^ ) my new PSU will be a Cooler Master G750M, this one is bronze certified, it's better than nothing..
The two memory stress tests softs i use ( VMT and memtestCL ) said i've got memory issue in the GPU . To be sure it's not a "light" issue , i run the tests again with my HD6870 , 0 errors... I recommend everyone which has the same problem as me to try the GPU memory stress test .

Here the link to DL the softs :
VMT : http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en
MemTestCL : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/memtestcl.html

I'll run the soft on the new R9 and tell you the result , maybe just an isolated defect on a series of R9..

Just a little word about Sapphire contact , a Sapphire's staff member asked me to make a video of a crash , and don't seems very interested about the reasons of the crash themselves..

This is fantastic information especially about those apps you used to test the card. I'd not heard about them in particular before so much thanks.. :)

Glad to help ! I'm very interested about the results of theses test on Askin PC... Just to see if his R9 throws errors two.. And if someone have a full working R9 if there is errors ( we can still think to an incompatibility between software and hardware..)

I'll certainly be using them in the future and yes this would be ideal for Askins issue too.

Last edited:
New R9 and new PSU installed, BSOD still here... Sapphire told me this :
"Dear Customer :
We don't know if this is a compatible issue between 290 series with M5A78 MB and that is why we need your help to test with other MB."

I've spend around $1000 i don't wan't to buy something more... -_-

EDIT : i've make a phone call to AMD support (good support btw) , they think about an incompatibility between MB and GPU.. But why this is notice nowhere ? I think i'll be forced to buy a new MB but i'm exasperated... I've contact Asus (MB manufacturer) support by phone too ( in reality the phone service tell you that the hardware support is not joinable , so "You can join us by mail , have a nice day" ), i hope they'll do a commercial gesture ...

Last edited:
I understand your Frustration Azrael. Why not send in the dump file anyway and I'll have another look and see if anything pops up.

I'll , thanks for this.
AMD told me to test with an other OS (they recommend w8) but i dislike metro and don't want to buy a new license ..
I've contact Amazon to try to get a reduction on a new MB (why not after all, the incompatibility was not specified on product page..)
They give me back around $50 (10% of the R9 price) , it's quite correct.. Now i'm gonna seek a correct MB around this price..

I'll edit in few minutes for dump files..

New dump files.
I despair to found a free solution about my issue...

Attachments

• W7F_12-08-2014.zip
    1 MB · Views: 309
Code:
Mini Kernel Dump does not contain unloaded driver list

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80073238f8, 0, 0}

Damn I'm still not seeing your unloaded drivers. I know i asked once before but can you please check that your set to create a 'small memory dump' and not a Kernel memory dump or similar? I need to find out why I'm not seeing your drivers but in any case as you can see from the above it's the same issue. In fact all your dumps were the same.
In the past when i've had similar issues I troubleshoot like this. First reformat your C drive followed by running Windows updates. Add the GPU driver and begin to test. Slowly add software and drivers testing as you go although as the card bsods when idle it's not like you can reproduce the bsod on demand. so I'm unsure this method would be much help to you. Let me see what I can find out about the unloaded drivers and i'll post back.

Please excuse me , it was indeed kernel dump who was checked , ( i think some modifications were erased by a reboot).
Next dumps will be more exploitable..

The fresh dumps :

Attachments

• W7F_13-08-2014.zip
    1 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Back