Windows 7 BSOD with STOP 0x0000001A - potential hardware issue - please advise

James Dandridge

I have been experiencing intermittent BSOD crashes on my Media Center PC with increasing frequency over the past few weeks. This morning I booted from the Windows 7 installer DVD (ready to re-install again), and it started loading files to RAM. After a few minutes it crashed with another BSOD and gave the following error:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove and newly installed hardware or software. Disbale BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000001A (0x0000000000041284, 0xFFFFF8A001097001, 0x0000000000000FDD, 0xFFFFF781C0000000)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It seems to BSOD more when it has been started up from cold, so I am beginning to suspect a motherboard issue. This morning it would only have been using the following hardware:
- The BIOS (updated last night)
- The RAM (all tested OK with MEMTEST86 for 22 hours last week)
- The DVD-ROM drive (BSOD errors occurred previously when this wasn't in use)
- The motherboard
- The DVD-ROM drive
- The chassis PSU

So I think it can really only be one of the latter three items. The machine also crashed yesterday when booting from a Linux Ubuntu 12.04 CD (no hard disk involved), but I know the CD is fine. It booted again afterwards fine, so again I suspect it may be a hardware issue.

As booting with ubuntu is also crashed, it indicates a hardware issue.
Chassis PSU may not be a problem as you have used it for 22 long hours during memtest.
You can check DVD-drive for problems by disconnecting the DVD cable and then see if the problem persists.
HDD and mobo may be a problem as there are no suitable ways to check defects in them.
So try checking HDD for defects at first. If it isn't defective then check mobo if possible

Last edited:
Back