Windows 10 BSOD

TimT

My ASUS laptop running Windows 10 is experiencing frequent BSOD episodes. 70% of the time the code returned is Unexpected Store Exception and 30% of the time it's Critical Process Died. These seem to occur at random and can be as frequent as several times/day or as infrequent as once every couple weeks. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing at the time - just reading email, or having multiple programs running, or (lite) online gaming - the BSODs happen whenever.

FYI, the sfc /scannow came back clean. I'm attaching the W7F.zip file

Any/All help is gratefully requested and appreciated!
Tim

Attachments

• W7F_04-05-2017.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 368
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 154, {ffffbf0b20096000, ffffe280a7357330, 2, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
as you already know you have two types of probable cause , hardware-Disk and memory. Usually in these cases it's often down to some errant driver so i first checked your driver stack:

AiCharger.sys Fri Sep 23 03:04:40 2011: Asus Charger Driver can be a Likely BSOD cause please remove

ASMMAP64.sys Thu Jul 2 10:13:26 2009: LENOVO ATK Hotkey ATK0101 ACPI UTILITY (also found in Asus systems). This needs updating.
Support Center | ASUS Globalddddd

atkwmiacpi64.sys Wed Sep 7 02:44:52 2011: ATK WMIACPI Utility. This is a power management application and needs updating.
Support Center | ASUS Global

anvsnddrv.sys Mon Nov 14 08:17:35 2011: AnvSoft Virtual Audio Device needs updating or removing.
Any Video Converter Ultimate - Video Recorder, DVD Converter, DVD to MP4 Converter, Video to DVD Burner

xtouch.sys Mon Jan 12 03:03:19 2015: I'm not entirely sure what this app is for but it seems to have plenty of potential for causing issues. Remove to test.

XHCIPort.sys Wed Sep 26 12:04:01 2012: Intel USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller/Intel Wireless Display Driver:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

I've been trying to find which actual model of laptop your using. I know it's a Q500A but after almost 2hrs of searching cannot find which Q500A it actually is as there's several.

It's important to use the drivers from your support page as drivers from other sites simply won't do and will probably cause issues.

Please post the full model name asap please

Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 154, {ffffbf0b20096000, ffffe280a7357330, 2, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
as you already know you have two types of probable cause , hardware-Disk and memory. Usually in these cases it's often down to some errant driver so i first checked your driver stack:

AiCharger.sys Fri Sep 23 03:04:40 2011: Asus Charger Driver can be a Likely BSOD cause please remove

ASMMAP64.sys Thu Jul 2 10:13:26 2009: LENOVO ATK Hotkey ATK0101 ACPI UTILITY (also found in Asus systems). This needs updating.
Support Center | ASUS Globalddddd

atkwmiacpi64.sys Wed Sep 7 02:44:52 2011: ATK WMIACPI Utility. This is a power management application and needs updating.
Support Center | ASUS Global

anvsnddrv.sys Mon Nov 14 08:17:35 2011: AnvSoft Virtual Audio Device needs updating or removing.
Any Video Converter Ultimate - Video Recorder, DVD Converter, DVD to MP4 Converter, Video to DVD Burner

xtouch.sys Mon Jan 12 03:03:19 2015: I'm not entirely sure what this app is for but it seems to have plenty of potential for causing issues. Remove to test.

XHCIPort.sys Wed Sep 26 12:04:01 2012: Intel USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller/Intel Wireless Display Driver:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

I've been trying to find which actual model of laptop your using. I know it's a Q500A but after almost 2hrs of searching cannot find which Q500A it actually is as there's several.

It's important to use the drivers from your support page as drivers from other sites simply won't do and will probably cause issues.

Please post the full model name asap please

Thank you so much for looking into this! I will post full model name as soon as I return home (although I've not been aware of any model name more detailed than 'Q500A' before)

Thank you so much for looking into this! I will post full model name as soon as I return home (although I've not been aware of any model name more detailed than 'Q500A' before)

I see no other model identification other that 'Q500A', however, if it's helpful, the system information window states the following:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: Touch Support with 2 Touch Points.

I am working on your previous removal/update suggestions now, and will report again. Thanks, again, for your continued assistance! Tim

I see no other model identification other that 'Q500A', however, if it's helpful, the system information window states the following:
Thanks Tim, so the driver page is probably for a few models.. In any case I found it:
ASUS Global

Unfortunately driver support for your machine stops at Windows 8.1.

This could lead to an issue with your drivers as your using Windows 10 if I remember correctly yes?

How are things going with the os? Any crashes at all?

Thanks Tim, so the driver page is probably for a few models.. In any case I found it:
ASUS Global

Unfortunately driver support for your machine stops at Windows 8.1.

This could lead to an issue with your drivers as your using Windows 10 if I remember correctly yes?

How are things going with the os? Any crashes at all?

I was able to install an updated ATK package which, I hope, will take care of both the atkwmiacpi64.sys and ASMMAP64.sys issues - that package update doesn't show up on the ASUS page for the machine model, but an internet search found a specific download page for the package on the ASUS site.

I'm not sure what to do about the software .sys update (anvsnddrv.sys), as I already have the latest Any Video Converter Ultimate program installed - any thoughts?

My internet research suggests xtouch.sys is connected with XHCIPort.sys (Intel Wireless Display), however after installing the most recent Intel driver update utility and running it, it claims that all the Intel drivers on the machine are the most recent available. - thoughts?

Can you explain how to remove AiCharger.sys (ASUS Charger Driver)? I don't know how to get around the 'item cannot be removed - it is in use' issue.

Thanks again,
Tim

Can you explain how to remove AiCharger.sys (ASUS Charger Driver)? I don't know how to get around the 'item cannot be removed - it is in use' issue.
Yes, try booting into safe mode:

From Settings
  1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings.
  2. Select Update & security > Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
From the sign-in screen
  1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    11995_en-us_2

> Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
Ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

From Settings
  1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
From the sign-in screen
  1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    11995_en-us_2

> Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
Ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

I've removed the AiCharger.sys to the desktop (prior to deleting), set a restore point and restarted. If/when a BSOD occurs again, I'll post another W7F .zip file. Thanks again!

From Settings
From the sign-in screen
    11995_en-us_2

> Restart.

I've removed the AiCharger.sys to the desktop (prior to deleting), set a restore point and restarted. If/when a BSOD occurs again, I'll post another W7F .zip file. Thanks again!

From Settings
From the sign-in screen
    11995_en-us_2

> Restart.

Argh... while I successfully removed the AiCharger.sys file, I just experienced a new BSOD (two, really - part-way through the restart it happened again). Code given is 'Critical Process Died'. I've attached a new W7F.zip file, and appreciate any additional clues/thoughts you, or anyone may have.

Attachments

• W7F_06-05-2017.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 617
Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffc1094ee4f780, 0, 0, 0}

ETW minidump data unavailable
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
you still have drivers which need updating:

AMPPAL.sys Thu Sep 13 12:30:17 2012: Intel� Centrino� Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed Virtual Adapter driver. A 2013 version can be found here:
ASUS Global

anvsnddrv.sys Mon Nov 14 08:17:35 2011: AnvSoft Virtual Audio Device - Even if the driver can be updated please remove this application to test.

iaStorA.sys Tue Jul 31 19:21:21 2012: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver

NIWinCDEmu.sys Tue Aug 9 09:25:29 2011: Native Instruments ISO Mounter Driver
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Please run a chkdsk
chkdsk – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffc1094ee4f780, 0, 0, 0}

ETW minidump data unavailable
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
you still have drivers which need updating:

AMPPAL.sys Thu Sep 13 12:30:17 2012: Intel� Centrino� Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed Virtual Adapter driver. A 2013 version can be found here:
ASUS Global

anvsnddrv.sys Mon Nov 14 08:17:35 2011: AnvSoft Virtual Audio Device - Even if the driver can be updated please remove this application to test.

iaStorA.sys Tue Jul 31 19:21:21 2012: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver

NIWinCDEmu.sys Tue Aug 9 09:25:29 2011: Native Instruments ISO Mounter Driver
Downloads : Drivers & Other Files | Support

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Please run a chkdsk
chkdsk – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Chkdsk found and repaired some errors (yay!)
I 'think' I updated the Intel Centrino Blutooth adaptor...
Also updated Native Instruments packages.
iaStorA.sys seems to apply to RAID HDD storage, but I don't (and won't) utilize RAID storage - I was able to delete all iaStor files (including the one you referenced, above, except one, which isn't locked and doesn't show up in my task manager but says it's 'in use' and I can't get rid of it.

I set a restore point after these changes and we'll see what happens. Thanks, again!

A point of information here regarding the iaStorA.sys driver. I've worked on several desktop PCs as well as laptops over the years that use this driver. Many BIOSes use the RAID driver to control the entire storage sub-system (controller chip and the bootdrive), so unless you have more than 1 drive in your PC or laptop (99% of these only have room for 1 hdd in them), removing the iaStorA.sys driver can keep your drive from working at all or diminish it's interface capability with the computer's BIOS.

Should you have a desktop PC or a laptop with dual-drive capability, and you physically add a 2nd drive or additional drives (3, 4, 5, etc.), then the same iaStorA.sys driver can manage 2 or more drives in a RAID configuration (mirroring). One example of this is my main test PC, a Dell Dimension E520 PC, 10 years old this year. I have 4 drives in this machine, but am not using the built-in iaStorA.sys RAID driver to configure them in RAID configuration. The BIOS comes up on bootup and let's me choose which drive I want to temporarily choose to be my bootdrive. I can also change that using the <F12> key to change the boot preferences or boot order that the BIOS chooses it's bootdrive (C: drive) to be. I have used the iaStorA.sys driver to configure a 2-drive RAID configuration, and it does work, as have Optiplexes with the same driver as well as other Dell PCs. I've also seen this driver used on HPs and Gateways as well.

This driver then shouldn't interfere with any normal single-drive non-RAID configuration of your computer and therefore does not need to be removed. I've also seen this driver used on discrete PCI controller cards such as from Qlogic or Adaptec to manage their storage sub-systems.

Best,:lightbulb:
<<<BBJ>>>

A point of information here regarding the iaStorA.sys driver.
The Rapid storage driver is for both single drive and RAID systems using AHCI although not every system needs to use it as Windows carries it's own set of drivers.

You do have a copy to download on the support page but only under Windows 8.

If you do start getting issues or if you would rather seeing this version will install ( ideally all drivers should come from the support site)
Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Back