Windows 7 Build 7057: Install issues at 'Expanding Windows files'

Witchsong

Here is the scenario:

My computer has one internal harddrive, it's split up in two partitions. On the first partition, I've installed Windows Vista (32-bit), and on the second drive I have various files stored.

So, not wanting to overwrite the Vista install, I chose to install Windows 7 (64-bit) on the second partition. At the 'Expanding Windows files' step it hits 84%, and from there is stalls for a long time. Then I get an error about missing data or something similar. Cannot recall what the exact message was.

So, I try again, same thing happens. And it also doesn't seem to remove the temporary files after a failed install either.

I remove the files with unlocker software, and tries again. It hits 26%, and stays there for way too long. So, I reboot, try to do it on the Vista partition. Same thing happens.

Now I'm really unsure about what to do. I would prefer not having to wipe the harddrive clean, though, as it's such a hassle taking backup of everything.

Any suggestions?

Not speaking from experience, seeing as i'm still using 7022. but methinks that you probably will have to wipe and start over... hopefully you have a backup tool in your vista that will just image the install onto 2 DVD's like my acer has......

After trying to install Windows 7 on the Vista partition, Vista is not able to boot. Though, I booted a Linux LiveCD, and it seems the previous installs of the OS is backed up in Windows.old and Windows.old.000.

So, if I boot the repair tool from the Vista drive, get everything back where it should be, I could boot Vista, backup stuff, and do the wipe.

Should I wipe both partitions, or just the one I install Windows 7 on?

get the restore disks made for the vista OS... then you might want to go as far as to do a one pass 0 on the HDD. it takes a while.. but then you're starting from scratch. always the best with 7 ....

What does 'one pass 0' mean?

The x86 version installs fine. The x64 version does not. Any difference between an x86 and an x64 OS in terms of installation / files, which could cause this?

Last edited:
After installing the x86, I notice a lot of CDs and DVDs fail to be read. So possibly it could have been a bad drive that caused it. :S