Windows 7 Build 7077 install freeze

moshee

When upgrading from 7048 to 7077 the installer freezes on the last step (copying files and settings) at 35% every time I've tried it. It suggested removing ATI Catalyst Install Manager and Control Panel, which I did, but it still hangs (although this time at 47%). I have tried several different configurations (with/without CCC and Install Manager, do/don't go online for updates, etc). Every time I have to force restart the computer and it will begin to restore the previous version.

My system specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom X4 9850
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4830
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB Dual channel RAM
MSI K9A2-VM Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 640GB (installing onto the Seagate)
ASUS DVD drive

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
When upgrading from 7048 to 7077 the installer freezes on the last step (copying files and settings) at 35% every time I've tried it. It suggested removing ATI Catalyst Install Manager and Control Panel, which I did, but it still hangs (although this time at 47%). I have tried several different configurations (with/without CCC and Install Manager, do/don't go online for updates, etc). Every time I have to force restart the computer and it will begin to restore the previous version.

My system specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom X4 9850
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4830
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB Dual channel RAM
MSI K9A2-VM Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 640GB (installing onto the Seagate)
ASUS DVD drive

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
If you change from an earlier Build to a later Build,it is really NOT an Upgrade Installation as there is NO Operating system Version Change. The Installation options given at setup: Upgrade or Custom are meant to choose if one wants to go from an existing earlier Version of Windows for example VISTA to win 7 and not within Win 7 which is an Update ( and you and I know it is not an officially approved update either) for which there is no option at setup.

If you had installed a Previous Beta Build and then updated some of the device drivers (Example Video card) using the motherboard Disc (if integrated device) or Manufacturer's Software disc if Add-on device or from a fresh download of the latest VISTA or even Win 7 Beta drivers from their download sites, the later Build need not automatically install the working updated driver as the newer BUILD of the OS might not have incorporated that driver yet in its directory. This often leads to problem of loss of functionality or at times total failure of the hardware to work requiring Uninstalation and Reinstallation of drivers. It is therefore the general suggestion to use a Fresh clean install if you want to "test" the new build for comparison. More over Windows has the habit of saving the "old drivers" (and it may turn out to be the bad one) in System32 directory "just in case you need it" and often installs them preferentially to something better you could later install thus creating a real mess. Although you could try the unistall and reinstall in safe mode Method, it does not always work because of file corruption from a prior install. Therefore the best option is to save personal files and Reinstall through "Custom Install option" using the Windows Build that is flawless or better still wait for RC in 3 days and then do a Custom install if you want to hit the ground running.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, or vice versa. I have successfully "upgraded" (following a bunch of steps from some website) from build 7000 32-bit to 64-bit, and then from that to build 7048 64-bit without any kind of problems. What could be different with build 7077? is it because it is "Release Candidate 1 (according to the filename, 7077.0.090404-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULXFR.iso)?

Build 7077 is NOT the release candidate.. Build 7100 is.. ;) Anyone could have modified the tag to include "rc" in the title.. don't be fooled.. ;)

As for your problem.. I'd suggest doing a clean install (as in format your HDD and install a nice fresh copy of Windows 7) rather than an upgrade.. Your just asking for trouble when you go the "upgrade" route in my opinion.. Especially when your going from a BETA (daily/interim build) to another BETA (daily/interim build).. It's just not a good idea..

I'd suggest waiting for May 5th though since it's only a couple days away.. That's when the RC is officially released to the general public via Microsoft's Website.. :) That way you'll know your getting a 'clean' copy and it will indeed be the RC.. Once you have it downloaded then just do a clean install and you shouldn't have any problems.. Just make sure you download any drivers you might need prior to the installation if you don't have another computer to use in the meantime.. ;)

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, or vice versa. I have successfully \"upgraded\" (following a bunch of steps from some website) from build 7000 32-bit to 64-bit, and then from that to build 7048 64-bit without any kind of problems. What could be different with build 7077? is it because it is \"Release Candidate 1 (according to the filename, 7077.0.090404-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULXFR.iso)?

I am sorry if I caused any confusion. I used the generally accepted definition of the term Upgrade [ Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia] that involves a newer version of a Software product line for which the manufacturer almost always charges the customer or appear to give "free" (usually with a lot of strings attached) as shown by the recent news release by an Acer Executive in UK for example if you buy an Acer Computer preloaded with VISTA on or after Sep 23rd 2009 you will get a "Free Win 7 UPGRADE" from Acer after Oct 23rd 2009 - Acer confirms Windows 7 available 23 October]
The term Update is used generally to indicate some minor /major bug fixes or enhacements like Win 7 Beta Build 7000 to 7077 or occasionally some Service Packs as in the case of SP3 to make our Win XP Gold / SP1/ SP2 to SP3 with a Free Windows Update download.

During Windows 7 Setup there are 2 pathways given.

• Upgrade installation
  • Custom Installation.
From Microsoft How to install the Windows 7 Beta
(Font color/bold changed by me for emphasis)
How to do an upgrade installation

1.Insert the Windows 7 Beta installation disc you created in step 2 into your computer's DVD or CD drive. Important: Make sure to insert your installation disc with your current version of Windows running.
2.On the Install Windows page, click Install now.
3.On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and protect your computer against security threats. You need an Internet connection to get installation updates.
4.On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms. (You must accept to continue the installation.)
5.On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

I hope the above clarifies the rather abbreviated references by me about Upgrade and Update.
I also mentioned about drivers issue. If it is not a Clean installation, the older installation would have left a lot of older drivers in the Windows System32 folder which can corrupt the Upgrade path of installation but not if we choose a Clean installation. If it is from real upgrade from Vista to Win 7 this is unlikely ( But MS Still encourages clean install and there is the option to test for compatibilty) as the drivers needed by Win 7 beta are the same as VISTA. But the drivers included in the daily Builds released to the wild need not keep drivers current or consistent. I had drivers problem with Win 7 Build 7052 and 7058 even in a Custom Installation. I have not chosen the Upgrade path with any Beta Builds in my test computers.

Other causes for installation problems of the kind described above include a Poor disc (File corruption), a Bad DVD drive , bad RAM etc. and I presumed moshee might have already looked into and ruled out these possibilities before posting the above for some ideas from us.
I am sorry for any confusion caused.

Build 7077 is NOT the release candidate.. Build 7100 is.. ;) Anyone could have modified the tag to include "rc" in the title.. don't be fooled.. ;)

As for your problem.. I'd suggest doing a clean install (as in format your HDD and install a nice fresh copy of Windows 7) rather than an upgrade.. Your just asking for trouble when you go the "upgrade" route in my opinion.. Especially when your going from a BETA (daily/interim build) to another BETA (daily/interim build).. It's just not a good idea..

I'd suggest waiting for May 5th though since it's only a couple days away.. That's when the RC is officially released to the general public via Microsoft's Website.. :) That way you'll know your getting a 'clean' copy and it will indeed be the RC.. Once you have it downloaded then just do a clean install and you shouldn't have any problems.. Just make sure you download any drivers you might need prior to the installation if you don't have another computer to use in the meantime.. ;)

I agree totally .

Hmm... Looks like I burned my disk with the wrong settings :p Thanks for all the help, though. Everything works fine now.

Hmm... Looks like I burned my disk with the wrong settings :p Thanks for all the help, though. Everything works fine now.
Thank you for posting back and confirming that it was from a "Flawed Disc" from bad burn.

Back
Top Bottom