Building Windows 8: Signing in with a picture password

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by whoosh, Dec 26, 2011.

1. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

:eagerness:

#1 whoosh, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  2. lorenkjr1

lorenkjr1 Extraordinary Member

Ah this I found to be a great tip. I love it. Thanks.

3. Drew

Drew Banned

I have been using the Picture Password w/ Win8 for about 18 months... love it!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).

4. carla

carla New Member

How is a picture password safer than a regular password?

5. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

The only difference is that it uses a visual cue as a form of two-step authentication. You have to be able to see the image, and also interact with it, in order to clear the password. How this is used in cryptography, with Kerberos, to make it more difficult to break, I'm not sure. To give you an example, though, with a regular password, you would not need to see visual cue/artifact/image and interact with it. This should make brute force methods more complex, as well as the ability for a malware program to clone the screen.

#5 Mike, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. Drew

Drew Banned

One is just as safe as the other. That said...

If someone ever discovered your P/W, they could type it in but, nobody would not be able to know YOUR gestures used w/ a picture password. Not only does this hold true for 'hands on' but, an outside hacked MIGHT crack a P/W but, again, could not know how to deal w/ a picture password.

Aside from that sort of thing... I just find it easier & quicker than typing in a P/W & my chosen picture is nice to look at/see.

Cheers,
    Drew

#6 Drew, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  7. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Isn't the whole discussion with respect to security sort of moot. As I don't see how you can have one without the other.
    The text password is first of all the whole underpinning of your Microsoft Account globally. So unless someone has figured out how to have a picture password without first having a text password then I'm not sure that the whole Picture Password enhances security discussion merits much attention, since the option to switch between picture, pin and normal password screens are available to anyone logging on locally.

8. Drew

Drew Banned

Please, excuse... I either misspoke or didn't say what I meant to very well. Yes, a character P/W is, certainly, needed before creating a Picture Password. My apologies, I was a bit misleading or, @ the very least, confusing.

Cheers,
    Drew canadianwave.
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC). .1