Windows 7 CAN ANY VERSION OF ADOBE READER BE USED TO EDIT DOCUMENTS?

BIGBEARJEDI

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
Hi All:

One of my Clients is claiming that an older version of Adobe Reader (v9 or v10) was able to Edit pdf documents. I was wondering if this was true?

Last month she experienced problems with her Reader when she tried to upgrade to v11; and we had to make a paid support call to Adobe to fix. They repaired the problem and reinstalled the latest Reader version; v11.03. She now claims she can no longer edit documents as she was able to do in one of the older versions I mentioned above.

My understanding was that unless you bought a premium version of Reader, or Acrobat, or CS3 Elements, or Adobe Writer or Distiller, you could not edit pdf documents. Was Reader upgraded to have Edit capability on documents the Owner created? Or can newer Versions of Reader (v9.0 and up) edit Owner created documents (pdf) as well as pdf documents E-mailed from other people who created those on their computers?

Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

BIGBEARJEDI

Been testing Word 2013 and finding it does a decent job of rudimentary editing of PDFs and after the edits does a pretty good job of saving it back to a PDF.
But as mentioned above, Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro would likely be the product of choice in the Adobe line of software. Adobe Acrobat Reader is, and as far as I know has always been, just that, a reader (not a creator nor an editor)

@BIGBEARJEDI,

Have a look at this adobe article......Adobe Reader XI
http://blogs.adobe.com/adobereader/2013/02/adobe-reader-xi-not-just-for-reading-anymore.html

P.S. Adobe Reader XI is free, but the Export PDF and CreatePDF are not free.
Subscriptions required.

If you have subscribed to ExportPDF, the right column is where you convert pdf to MS Document format which can then be edited.

Image%209%201.jpg

Last edited:
Probably Adobe Reader has been able to edit PDFs that have been created with it, seems like that from older posts. Obviously that has been removed from newer versions - now you have to buy the function.

Been testing Word 2013 and finding it does a decent job of rudimentary editing of PDFs and after the edits does a pretty good job of saving it back to a PDF.
But as mentioned above, Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro would likely be the product of choice in the Adobe line of software. Adobe Acrobat Reader is, and as far as I know has always been, just that, a reader (not a creator nor an editor)

Open Office also gives a possibility to create PDFs. But with my experience it doesn't do a decent job with any editing of old PDFs. I'm personally using PDF-XChange Viewer, it allows about everything, works nicely, is free unless you want to pay something. http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

I find Adobe prices far too high, since it's a matter of a file format. I don't pay that much for my Windows! Take a look in the mirror, folks!

There was a White House petition to stop Adobe's Creative Cloud from taking over their standard product line. LOL. With that being said, Acrobat will remain the best program for this purpose, in my opinion. Word is excellent for editing, and then converting, an Office document, to PDF, but for professional rendering and digital signing, you're going to need to use Acrobat. I also agree that Creative Cloud is quite pricey and not exactly much different yet from Adobe Master Collection CS6.

Back